GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a posting on how to "fix" a stuck reverse switch. It's a little above my skills. Any alternatives to getting the bike to the dealership so they can fix it under warranty? How about towing on a flatbed with it stuck in reverese? Any ideas on handling the tow issues? :22yikes:

Thanks,

Preacher

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
Chances are good you can work the switch loose on your own. Let it warm up a bit and see if it doesn't unstick. Many times it gets moisture in it and freezes. Try a blow dry on the lowest setting for a couple minutes.

If mild heat doesn't help, you can sometime spray some silicone spray into the switch housing to get it to work. If that doesn't work you will have to take the switch apart and clean and lube it.

I have a complete photo gallery showing how to get to the switch and take it apart. Click on this link:
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/reverseswitch

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stuck

Fred H. said:
Chances are good you can work the switch loose on your own. Let it warm up a bit and see if it doesn't unstick. Many times it gets moisture in it and freezes. Try a blow dry on the lowest setting for a couple minutes.

If mild heat doesn't help, you can sometime spray some silicone spray into the switch housing to get it to work. If that doesn't work you will have to take the switch apart and clean and lube it.

I have a complete photo gallery showing how to get to the switch and take it apart. Click on this link:
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/reverseswitch
------------------------------
Bless you fellow traveler!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
One thing you might check. If the switch does "feel" like normal, you can remove all power from the bike and see if that will reset anything. Worth a try. Works alot in cars when thier many electronic gizmos go nuts.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stuck

Fred H - The hair dryer move worked! Taking the bike to the dealership to deal with the stuck cruise control, and non-sticking emergency flasher. I'll do your complete cure when I get it back. Thanks!

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
You better take it apart and clean and lubricate it. If you don't, the problem will return.

I had a friend that had a sticking reverse switch. I tried several times to get him to pull it out and clean and lube it properly. One day on a narrow country road he decided to do a U turn. He had to use his reverse to do a three point U turn. He got it in reverse and the switch stuck with him crossways in the road. About that time a big water truck comes over the hill. He managed to work it free, but I think he had to throw away his pants when he got home.

You can fix it in the comfort of your garage under controlled circumstances, or you can do it on the side (or middle) of the road somewhere. The choice is up to you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Fred,

Do you have procedure to remove the reverse switch?
I unscrew the 2 screws underneath the switch housing and pop open the upper & lower halves, but I can't not pull them apart, and the screws that hold the switch is in odd position that I can't even get a screwdriver on them. I thought it was an easy job, but apparently not. Do I have to unhook throttle cables and remove the wires that connect between the 2 halves?

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
There is a single screw INSIDE the lower half that holds a small metal bracket. This bracket pins the wire bundle to the bottom of the lower housing cutout.

Pull the lower half of the housing down enough that you can get a screwdriver on that screw. Take out the screw and remove the metal part it holds. Then the wire bundle will be free and you can work the switch out.

You don't need to do anything with the upper half of the housing, so just leave it in place. Only work with the lower half. You should be able to seperate it from the upper half enough to give you room to get a screwdriver on the interior screw, but you may have to work with it a bit (tug/pull) to get it into position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts