GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello GL1800 Fellow Riders,

I have a 2002 bike that the rear shocks have "inflated" to the maximum setting and will not release when I lower the setting on the controls. I can hear the pump running, but the bike remains at the highest level. Any thoughts on how to correct this situation?

Eagerly awaiting comments on my first post ever to a blog community. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
909 Posts
When you mean when you say "remains at the highest level"? The number in the dash gauge stays at 20 or the bike is not visibly seen dropping? Did you see the bike rise to it's highest level and is now stuck there?

I wonder if the mechanism develops any pressure and works at all. Maybe the sound of the motor comes out but the rear of the bike doesn't rise when you add preload.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I just tested the bike and the pump changes tone at about 13 on the way up. I didn't seem to hear any change on the way down. Before I could test it again, the neighbor started cutting his grass.

I will test again later and then pull the bike apart to check the fluid levels when I can. Again thanks for the guidance!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the bike is at the highest level and will not drop. I was riding it when I notice that the ride was very firm. The whole ride back, my mind was going through many scenarios. If I keep going, will the shocks explode or will a hose rupture. Once home, I parked it and started researching the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The control panel indicator goes from zero to 25. Where ever I take my finger off the control, that setting remains on the control panel. There is no movement in the bike up or down now?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
You may not notice any change in the height of the bike. Probably less than 3/8 inch. It is not like an airshock. The system just adds more pressure to the shock.
If you are not hearing a change until 13, the system pre-load needs topped off.
Here is a good video showing the procedure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts