GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake lights are staying on.:eek: If you disconnect the battery the brake lights will go out and stay out when you hook the battery back up. However with the key on, repeated pressing on the rear brake petal causes the brake light to stay on and it stays on when the key is turned off. I understand the brake light switch may be dirty causing the brake lights to stay on while the key switch is on. I have sprayed some WD-40 on it to try to clean it up, but how can the brake lights stay on with the key switch cut off? Thanks!:lol:

Donnie

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My brake lights are staying on.:eek: If you disconnect the battery the brake lights will go out and stay out when you hook the battery back up. However with the key on, repeated pressing on the rear brake petal causes the brake light to stay on and it stays on when the key is turned off. I understand the brake light switch may be dirty causing the brake lights to stay on while the key switch is on. I have sprayed some WD-40 on it to try to clean it up, but how can the brake lights stay on with the key switch cut off? Thanks!:lol:

Donnie

Might have a relay stuck in the closed position. That would do it.!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Might have a relay stuck in the closed position. That would do it.!
Even with the key in the "off" position,,,, shouldn't that kill the power to the relay????:eek: DJ,,, have you spoken with the dealer's mechanic about this problem??? Just wondering... Al :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the problem, it was me!

Thanks for the input!

I found the problem, it was me! About a year and a half ago the brake light on my trailer quit working. Upon investigation I found that the brake relay part of the Bushtec relay was not working so I put a jumper wire from the motorcycle brake wire going to the relay to the wire on the other side of the relay going to the trailer. Everything worked fine and I have pulled the trailer at least 15,000 miles since then, including one 29 day trip last year in which the trailer was hooked up at least 90% of the time.

Then today, Sheryl and I rode down to my father’s house with the cruise control refusing to “set” the entire way. The main light would come on, but not the set point. We were at my father’s for an hour or so and the bike almost didn’t start when we were ready to leave. Long story short, or at least what I think happened, the jumper wire supplied power to both sides of the relay that started back working for some reason, so even with the key off, both sides of the relay was powered so the brake lights stayed on and run my battery down. Of course the problem would have run the battery down whether the trailer was hooked up or not. Considering that it has been about 18 months and 50,000 miles since the jumper was put on. It is amazing that it took so long to cause a problem. It had never occurred to me before today that this problem could result.

Does that make sense to y’all?

Donnie

Oh, I forgot to mention, I don’t use a trickle charger of any kind. Had the relay started working before, the battery would have run down!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for the input!

I found the problem, it was me! About a year and a half ago the brake light on my trailer quit working. Upon investigation I found that the brake relay part of the Bushtec relay was not working so I put a jumper wire from the motorcycle brake wire going to the relay to the wire on the other side of the relay going to the trailer. Everything worked fine and I have pulled the trailer at least 15,000 miles since then, including one 29 day trip last year in which the trailer was hooked up at least 90% of the time.

Then today, Sheryl and I rode down to my father’s house with the cruise control refusing to “set” the entire way. The main light would come on, but not the set point. We were at my father’s for an hour or so and the bike almost didn’t start when we were ready to leave. Long story short, or at least what I think happened, the jumper wire supplied power to both sides of the relay that started back working for some reason, so even with the key off, both sides of the relay was powered so the brake lights stayed on and run my battery down. Of course the problem would have run the battery down whether the trailer was hooked up or not. Considering that it has been about 18 months and 50,000 miles since the jumper was put on. It is amazing that it took so long to cause a problem. It had never occurred to me before today that this problem could result.

Does that make sense to y’all?

Donnie
What did he just say????:shrug::shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What did he just say????:shrug::shrug::shrug:
It is sort of confusing isn’t it?

Once the relay opened, power went directly from the battery to the plug in for the trailer. With the jumper wire from one side of the relay to the other both sides of the relay, there was a constant power source to keep the relay open, plus the bike brake lights were being powered directly from the battery due to the jumper wire. I think I just made it clearer to myself, did it help you?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nope,,,, but that's O.K. as long as you know what happened..... I had the dudes at the dealership wire my lights for the trailer so I'm a little lost.... I guess that if I did it myself I'd have a little better understanding of it.....
Al :yes::yes::yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts