GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2002 GL1800 and I have intermittent problems with hard starting. After it's running it runs great no problems. Any ideas on the problem? Frank

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Welcome to the Board!

The problem you describe is usually attributed to a weak battery. It will sound as if the battery has plenty of juice to spin the motor, but in reality, the starter is using all the available power and it doesn't have enough reserve to spin the motor and fire the plugs as well. The test would be to hook a voltage meter to the battery posts and spin it over. your voltage shouldn't drop below (I believe) about 10.5 v. If it does, the battery just doesn't have enough reserve.

Hope that helps. there will be others more knowledgeable than me along shortly...:thumbup:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,288 Posts
Welcome to the Board!

The problem you describe is usually attributed to a weak battery. It will sound as if the battery has plenty of juice to spin the motor, but in reality, the starter is using all the available power and it doesn't have enough reserve to spin the motor and fire the plugs as well. The test would be to hook a voltage meter to the battery posts and spin it over. your voltage shouldn't drop below (I believe) about 10.5 v. If it does, the battery just doesn't have enough reserve.

Hope that helps. there will be others more knowledgeable than me along shortly...:thumbup:
:agree: If you mean it cranks a lot before firing up. After you clean and tighten the battery terminals, you need to take a handheld volt meter and measure the battery voltage before you turn on the key, after you turn on the key, and then while you are cranking the engine over. You can check your alternator output by measuring it while the motor runs and you have the high beams on and rev it to 2500 rpms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts