GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold my GL1500 a few years ago, and am now looking at getting another Wing. Looking at a 2002 with extrememly low miles. Any issues, warnings, etc., about the 2002s or a ten year old wing with less than 7,500 miles on it? Thanks for any input.:bow:

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Make sure all the recalls were taken care of. Buy it and ride it. Run the vin # thru the dealer computer. My 02 runs like a top.
Kurt :thumbup:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
7500 miles on that bike is barely broken in, the recalls would be free at the dealer, so dont fret on that point

I would surely change all the fluids as soon as you got it, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Great buy that wing is not even broken in yet. I would change the tires oil and go for it. :congrats:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just bought an 05 with only 4041 miles on it a couple of months ago, and I agree change the oil and tires as I did. I also put a couple of ounces of Seafoam in the gas tank and it help with my cold starts. they were a little jerky when stating off cold but has since cleared up and I now have over 6000 miles on it and no complaints. Oh one more thing, prepare to spend some money on it. It will just come natural.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
My '02 has been a great bike for the past 9 years, but I've had a couple serious issues with it that you should be aware of:

1) It has never had a breakdown on the road, so I've never had the opportunity to use that little tool kit that came in the left saddlebag.

2) After installing Mick-O-Pegs and a Utopia backrest, it's so comfortable that I can ride for hundreds and hundreds of miles -- but I have to stop for fuel. One day I stopped over 6 times!

All joking aside, check for the recalls, change out the fluids and ride!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I am concerned with fluids not having been changed (except oil, reportedly) for almost ten years. And the tires are original !! I would never ride on ten year old tires, even if they looked new.

Yeah, I know about the farkles problem with wings - rode for 13 years before taking a break (kept riding my vfr and wee-strom).

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Our 02 has 94,000 miles on it now, I know it's low milage, but hey. anyway it has been bullit proof. change the fluids as Loren and other said and new tires would be a great idea. We had the recalls done and the frame welds done. Not a hint of a problem. Something I did today I though was a good idea was I flushed the radiators, on the outside, with peroxide and lots of water followed by compressed air to blow them out. I am making that a part of my regular maintenance. I had read here about using peroxide to clean the bugs off the windshield. sooooooooooo

BB

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Make sure all the recalls were taken care of. Buy it and ride it. Run the vin # thru the dealer computer. My 02 runs like a top.
Kurt :thumbup:

Ditto. I bought my '02 last November with 12,000 miles on it. It had all the recalls done. I know have just shy of 24,000 and it runs like a new one. Just got back from an 8,200 mile trip from Maine to California and back and it ran smooth.....even over 100 mph in western Texas (an awesome state by the by).

GO FOR IT before someone else gets it. You will not be sorry!!

Best o'luck!:congrats:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts