GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week the LEFT fork decided it was time to spray out the fork oil --
What a mess -- my left shoe, the left fog light, up and down the fairing , spray up onto the windscreen and my face-shield --
UGGHHH --

I have ordered the required parts to do a proper rebuild and have experience doing the work from previous bikes
I am feeling pretty confident in being able to accomplish this task -
I ordered new fork seals, dust seals, slider rings (both inner and outer) , new fork bottom bolts, and PROGRESSIVE MONOTUBES --

Probably some here will nay-say my choice but the die is already cast .
I am looking for a budget conscientious solution and slight upgrade and these fit the bill
My riding style is not so aggressive that I need the great benefits of Traxxion amaz-a-suspension --
PMT will do quite nicely and with the money savings I will buy gas and go for a ride.

However -- I am looking for a budget upgrade option for the rear shock & actuator -
I have done the re-fill work to top off the actuator and it activates from 2 & up (couldn't quite it to zero)
I have been happy with the ride since doing that work (this spring) but I wonder if the new PMT front end will exacerbate the not up to quality
rear suspension parts .

Is a new Progressive Rear Spring enough to realize any benefits ?
Or is a new Shock/Spring combo the ticket --?
I am not going to pay the $799 for a Traxxion upgrade -- just do not have it.

Any all suggestions - offered seriously in an attempt to help - will be appreciated.

The cheapest thing on a Goldwing is the rider ;)

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Last week the LEFT fork decided it was time to spray out the fork oil --

What a mess -- my left shoe, the left fog light, up and down the fairing , spray up onto the windscreen and my face-shield --

UGGHHH --

I have ordered the required parts to do a proper rebuild and have experience doing the work from previous bikes

I am feeling pretty confident in being able to accomplish this task -

I ordered new fork seals, dust seals, slider rings (both inner and outer) , new fork bottom bolts, and PROGRESSIVE MONOTUBES --

Probably some here will nay-say my choice but the die is already cast .

I am looking for a budget conscientious solution and slight upgrade and these fit the bill

My riding style is not so aggressive that I need the great benefits of Traxxion amaz-a-suspension --

PMT will do quite nicely and with the money savings I will buy gas and go for a ride.

However -- I am looking for a budget upgrade option for the rear shock & actuator -

I have done the re-fill work to top off the actuator and it activates from 2 & up (couldn't quite it to zero)

I have been happy with the ride since doing that work (this spring) but I wonder if the new PMT front end will exacerbate the not up to quality

rear suspension parts .

Is a new Progressive Rear Spring enough to realize any benefits ?

Or is a new Shock/Spring combo the ticket --?

I am not going to pay the $799 for a Traxxion upgrade -- just do not have it.

Any all suggestions - offered seriously in an attempt to help - will be appreciated.

The cheapest thing on a Goldwing is the rider ;)

I have a spring from a 2006 that had only 8000 miles when I did a mega Monty upgrade. You can have it if you pay the shipping from Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have a spring from my 2006 that had 8000 miles when I did a mega Monty upgrade. You can have it if you pay shipping. Probably a flat rate box from USPS would get it there for about 8 bucks. BTW, I have the 06 shock also. It's yours if you want it. same deal, just pay shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I have a spring from my 2006 that had 8000 miles when I did a mega Monty upgrade. You can have it if you pay shipping. Probably a flat rate box from USPS would get it there for about 8 bucks.

That right there is an awesome offer. If you went ahead and added a new Progressive rear spring, your suspension would be better than new.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
A '12-'17 new trike take-off shock with a Progressive Spring. '12-'17 because they are supposedly the best, different valving, from what I have read here, and only from what I have read here, no personal knowledge.

It is what I did to mine.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wingsconsin, my left fork seals blew out in the same spectacular fashion. I only have the Progressive springs, not the monotubes. They are a big improvement. I recently installed a new takeoff 2016 rear shock and spring. It made a world of difference in performance and stability. It complements the front end very well. That only cost about $275. I'm very happy with it all.

·
Vendor
22,059 Posts
I'd stay away from the 1,200 lb/in rear spring upgrades on the OEM shock. The heavier spring will overpower the damping, and 1,200 lb/in is really too much spring unless you're towing a trailer 100% of the time, or seriously overload the bike all the time.

If you don't want to spring for a Traxxion rear shock then about the best you can do is look for a new trike take off, but expect to pay around $200. The Traxxion rear shock is rebuildable, so in the long term it makes more sense, since it also has a better spring and upgraded damping to match.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More questions seeking opinions

With the Montubes installed should I consider doing the anti-dive shim as well ?
After reading about how it operates it seems to be a good way to go with the new upgraded front shocks
With both forks doing work is the anti-dive deemed expendable ?

Your opinions matter - Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
With monotubes installed, the anti-dive system serves no useful purpose, deactivate it and enjoy.

Reactions: biggersm

·
Registered
530 Posts
Agree with MountainRider. After installing Progressive springs, new Honda seals and bushings, new 10 wt. fork oil, and removing the anti-dive, it becomes a very nice front end. Obviously with more money it could become even better, but for the few hundred bucks this costs, it returns the investment many times over.

With the Montubes installed should I consider doing the anti-dive shim as well ?
After reading about how it operates it seems to be a good way to go with the new upgraded front shocks
With both forks doing work is the anti-dive deemed expendable ?

Your opinions matter - Thank you
With monotubes installed, the anti-dive system serves no useful purpose, deactivate it and enjoy.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
If it is still working correctly it shouldn't hurt anything and may help a bit but I agree with it not really being needed anymore.

My left seal is leaking just a bit, started on the way back from Glacier Natl. Park, so I am going to rebuild my mono-tube forks soon, have the rebuild kit from WingStuff and the suspension fluid.

I got hold of Rocky and bought his last tree, had one on my '03 and think it was stiffer than the Buckskin Billet tree I put on my '10. Going to replace the Billet Tree with the Rocky Tree and will have the Billet Tree for sale.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The job is done --- I did everything I could while in there --

NEW Progresssive Monotubes
NEW Seals & Dust covers
NEW Fork Oil
NEW Fork Bottom Bolts & copper washers
NEW Brake Pads front & rear
NEW Anti-dive disabling shim added
Fixed a burned out headlight bulb
Fixed the CD player not initializing
Fixed the missing fasteners in various places (previous owners)

Cleaned Rotors from massive Fork oil leak (waddamess)

Left to do - Clean bike from fork oil spraying onto left side undercarriage (more waddamess)

Rides GREAT - What a fine improvement -
And I did all the work myself thanks to all the people who have posted to the web, YouTube, and here the various tutorials on ho to do it.

With only 60,000 miles on the Big Gurl I am looking forward to many more miles of smiles

Next - Winter install of newer rear spring and actuator received through the kindness and generosity of a board member

Reactions: thekid

·
Registered
530 Posts
You will really be impressed with the total handling and ride after you install that newer rear damper, spring and actuator. It brings the rear up to the level of performance of the front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts