GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member looking at a few different bikes 2002 with 18500 miles $6500 or a 2008 with 37500 miles $7500. Are there any upgrades on 08s that the 02s don’t have? Thank you

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Bunch of upgrades on the 2008

A frame you can trust
Higher output alternator
Larger radiators
Better higher output radio
Most of which came out on the 2006 models.
Add the dash/gauge redesign.
Most probably have heated seats/grips.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Agree with Red... I have an '08. A lot of upgrades to the bike in 2006. Worth the extra money. The mileage difference between the two is insignificant.

And, I don't think any GW 2005 or older is worth more than $3000 regardless of it's condition. Many here disagree with me, but I don't see as much value in these bikes as others do. My 2008 is in good condition, everything works, 80,000 miles. The front wheel bearings and drive shaft have been replaced after failure. If I were to sell now I'd ask $4500. Don't consider aftermarket things to add value to the bikes, though sellers try to do that all the time. What adds value to the bike is:

1. It's clean.
2. It's been garaged kept.
3. No damage.
4. Has no electrical aftermarket crap... you have no idea how good the wiring was done by the last guy.
5. Relatively new tires / brakes.
6. It has ABS.

And I would service all fluids etc after getting it, unless you could easily tell the previous owner had done it prior to selling.

There's a video on YouTube discussing what to look for when buying a used GW. Worth a look...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think you have somewhat greatly undervalued your Wing and most others. There are none to be had in my area of the country for such prices or even close to such. I looked a long time before a purchase and if one like yours had been available at the stated price it would have been a true great buy and/or sold very (very) quickly.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I have a 2007 with 144K on it for sale. I turned down 4500 not to long ago. No way I am letting it go for less than 5500. It is in it's resting place in my garage until Spring now.

Fred

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Agree with Red... I have an '08. A lot of upgrades to the bike in 2006. Worth the extra money. The mileage difference between the two is insignificant.

And, I don't think any GW 2005 or older is worth more than $3000 regardless of it's condition. Many here disagree with me, but I don't see as much value in these bikes as others do. My 2008 is in good condition, everything works, 80,000 miles. The front wheel bearings and drive shaft have been replaced after failure. If I were to sell now I'd ask $4500. Don't consider aftermarket things to add value to the bikes, though sellers try to do that all the time. What adds value to the bike is:

1. It's clean.
2. It's been garaged kept.
3. No damage.
4. Has no electrical aftermarket crap... you have no idea how good the wiring was done by the last guy.
5. Relatively new tires / brakes.
6. It has ABS.

And I would service all fluids etc after getting it, unless you could easily tell the previous owner had done it prior to selling.

There's a video on YouTube discussing what to look for when buying a used GW. Worth a look...
Well,
My '08 Level II, with a mere 38,000 on it, and was in pretty much flawless condition, with quite a few farkles including C/B, ACTUAL CHROME VALVE COVERS, not Kury junk, and many other niceties, was just traded in on a brand new '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT about 6 months ago. They gave me $6,500 for my Wing. I wasn't gonna argue with that. A 12 year old Goldwing, bringing me $6,500 (and that was sight un-seen from the dealer), I thought was good enough. I only paid $13,000 for 10 years ago. I loved that Wing. We'd covered lots of miles and memories with it. But, it was sitting more than it was being ridden, especially to its capabilities.
So, since I still like to ride, albeit in a bit different fashion, it was time for us to say good by to the Wing.
Scott

·
Registered
7,504 Posts
I'm gonna assume both bikes are ABS. I wouldn't consider one that doesn't have ABS.

Having owned an '03 and an '08 (bought the '03 in '04, the 'o8 in '08 -- traded both in '14), I'd buy '08.

Frame, cooling system, heated grips and seat, foot vents, vented windshield, better audio system, navi (not as nice as later ones, but does have some usefulness).

Like Destindoc, I consider many mods and farkles to be value deductions.
Except maybe the spoiler and 3rd taillight.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think you have somewhat greatly undervalued your Wing and most others. There are none to be had in my area of the country for such prices or even close to such. I looked a long time before a purchase and if one like yours had been available at the stated price it would have been a true great buy and/or sold very (very) quickly.
I have a 2007 with 144K on it for sale. I turned down 4500 not to long ago. No way I am letting it go for less than 5500. It is in it's resting place in my garage until Spring now.

Fred
Not undervalued, just on the low end of a reasonable value. Your're right, I would suspect the bike would sell quickly. That's what I would want. I've seen what people want for their bikes... they want too much. You want to sell it, and sell it quickly, you're going to have to "make an offer they can't refuse..." Yes, you might leave a few bucks on the table, but you move it, the some money is in your pocket.

Unlike Fred, I'm willing to take the $4500 and move on. He wanted $1000 more, but now he has nothing... could have had $4500. And the bike will be worth even less next year. Motorcycle ridership is going down, it's not a seller's market. If you find someone willing to pay the price you want, that's good. As they say, there's one born every minute...

I have probably always sold stuff on the low end of what it's worth, maybe even less. But, I've sold it. I don't have anything resting in my garage...

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
With some of the "high mileage" quotes that I read about on this forum, I guess my 2010 with "only" 60,000 miles on it now, only proves, that I really have to get out more often and ride it.. I guess sitting in my garage all wax'd up , looking nice and shiny, doesn't really help it ..... Too bad it's raining out today...........

Hey Larry (Greyhound) are you reading this?? Let's go for a ride soon!

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Not undervalued, just on the low end of a reasonable value. Your're right, I would suspect the bike would sell quickly. That's what I would want. I've seen what people want for their bikes... they want too much. You want to sell it, and sell it quickly, you're going to have to "make an offer they can't refuse..." Yes, you might leave a few bucks on the table, but you move it, the some money is in your pocket.

Unlike Fred, I'm willing to take the $4500 and move on. He wanted $1000 more, but now he has nothing... could have had $4500. And the bike will be worth even less next year. Motorcycle ridership is going down, it's not a seller's market. If you find someone willing to pay the price you want, that's good. As they say, there's one born every minute...

I have probably always sold stuff on the low end of what it's worth, maybe even less. But, I've sold it. I don't have anything resting in my garage...
I have something, a fine machine which I still enjoy riding at times. Not pressed for the money so Waiting for what I consider a fair price is what I will do. Could have got 4500 from the dealer on the trade. We all have our reasons for doing business our own way.

Fred

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Not addressing the discussion regarding what a bike is worth selling for, my input to the original question:

I have owned an 02, still have my 08 and also have an 18. I really liked my 02 (sold it with around 97k miles) however I was very glad to have bought my 08. Overall a better bike, both in amenities and electronics. The mileage difference you indicated is nothing. My 08 has around 137k miles, still runs great. 08 has a better ECM, cooling system, comfort package, frame, alternator system and is 6 years newer.

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
Exactly What’s better about the 08 ECM ?

Not addressing the discussion regarding what a bike is worth selling for, my input to the original question:

I have owned an 02, still have my 08 and also have an 18. I really liked my 02 (sold it with around 97k miles) however I was very glad to have bought my 08. Overall a better bike, both in amenities and electronics. The mileage difference you indicated is nothing. My 08 has around 137k miles, still runs great. 08 has a better ECM, cooling system, comfort package, frame, alternator system and is 6 years newer.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Exactly What’s better about the 08 ECM ?
Earlier ECMs had a higher failure rate. Buddy just had his 04 with 36k miles fail. Older ecm harder to find if replacement required. Older ecm (some) had issues with the coolant temp sensor proper indication/fan control.

Overall, the 08 is a highly regarded year.

·
Registered
452 Posts

I also own both bikes I liked my 02 best I felt more comfortable riding it, we were as one. I got rid of it with a 186,000 miles on it the only problem I had was fork tube leak. I liked my 08 for all the bells and whistles on it. I now ride a 2012 and love it.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
AS to the ECM problems, what will the 08 be like in a few more years?
Haven't heard of any issues with them. Original question was 02 vs 08. My vote is for the 08 for the reasons I noted above.

If someone is concerned about the reliability of the 08 ECM i recommend they buy a 2018+ and buy the extended warranty. And spend an extra 20 grand for the newer bike.

A cared for 08 will last a good long time.

Reactions: techdude2000
1 - 18 of 18 Posts