GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Goldwing! 2002 vs 2009 goldwing, what are the differences?

Today I traded my 2002 goldwing in on a new 2009 goldwing.

Yeeeeaaaaa.......a new goldwing.

My first brand spanken new goldwing.
I have to tell you.....it was something, smelling the "new" burn off, as the engine heated up for the first time.
It still had that funny smell when I got home with 15 miles on it.

It is a beautiful dark blue metalic color.
It has heated seat and grips
Toe heaters

I think it is a base model, no navigation.
But the base model is really nice.

What other changes did they make; if any, over the 2002?

It was late when I made the deal on the phone.
I arrived as the dealership was closing.
I didn't really get a chance to ask what changes they made since my 2002.

I was in a hurry to buy this bike, because I had heard they were going up $1000 in April "tomorrow".

I am very happy with my new goldwing.
I only had 40,000 miles on my 2002, it was a great bike.
But I really wanted a new one. :shrug:

I have put 15 miles on it.............

smiles smiles smiles;););););););)

Are there any major changes?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
hey neighbor

windshield vent

lighted hand controls

heated seat, grips and toe warmer

better cooling system

premium radio amp

and that new bike smell

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
:congrats: on the new bike...ain't it grand getting a new vehicle, too cool!!!!! :clap2::yes::yes::yes:

And blue also, only the best color......:thumbup:

Be safe and post some pictures when you get time.....

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
You also get a free I think it's 90 days XM radio. Plus you have a tire pressure monitoring system.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
You also get a new payment book. LOL sorry I just couldnt resist. :congrats: on the new toy. Now its time to add the farkles.
Kurt

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL.....the new payment book....ugh.
Lucky the old goldwing made a nice downpayment. No gap insurance needed. And I did get a great deal at the Bentonville dealership.
They beat the Springdale dealership by quite a bit.

windshield vent:
that will be nicer in the summer.

lighted hand controls:
I didn't notice on the night ride home last night. I can't wait till it gets dark tonight.

heated seat, grips and toe warmer:
I will be putting my corbin heated seat from my old goldwing on it.
That way I don't have to put up with Honda's system of not heating up as much when Honda doesn't think I need it. I like my heated seat on High when I want it on high. Even if it's not that cold outside.
My old 1998 GL1500 had toe warmers....I loved them.
Yes yes yes, toe warmers. They work better than you might think.

better cooling system:
Yes.....better cooling:yes1:, but really, I never had an overheating problem before. I guess I can go really slow for extended periods now. I had heard some goldwings overheated while extended periods of very slow riding. I normally have extended periods of very fast riding.

premium radio amp:
My old radio was pretty good. But better is better.

Tire pressure warning light:
Thats a great thing to put on. I have to admit, sometimes I think my tires are inflated just fine, then I put a gauge on them, they are way low.
I even got to where I would over inflate them so they could lose pressure and I was still good......sorry, kinda lazy I know.

I had about $5,000 worth of cheap chrome plated plastic on my 2002. I don't think I will put any extra chrome on this one. That old Kuryaukin stuff doesn't look very good after 6 or 7 years. Its really expensive. You would think they would make it to last the life of the bike.

Time to roll it out in the sunshine and get my first look at it with the sun shining on it.

I can't wait any longer, time to ride.

·
Registered
133 Posts
:congrats: and a wonderful color too. Bit of a cold spell here in Wisconsin, but will be out riding sooner than later.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I got mine yesterday too. same colors as yours, but I am jumping from a VTX 1800 to the GW.

Congrats on the new ride!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been out riding my new 2009.

I didn't realize how much better the 80 watt stereo is.

This stereo will drive the music right through you.

Even at 80 mph on a very windy day, I could hear the stereo fine.

I normally turn the music down after about 60 mph, but I had fun testing it out at higher speeds.

My bike does have the tire pressure monitoring system TPMS.

When I picked the bike up last night, the light came on, even though the tires looked to have air in them.

I asked the dealership to air them up before I left. They said the tires were at 25 lb air pressure and 30 lb.

I really like the TPMS to let me know when I need to check the tires.

But I don't trust the TPMS yet. I hope it works as well as it should.

I will check the tire pressure with a gauge even if TPMS doesn’t light up.
I'll do that until I have a chance to see just how well it works.

The new goldwing really shifts much nicer than my 2002 at 40,000 miles. But the 02 shifted fine. Just not as snappy.

I felt a lot of lash in the drive train of the 02. The 09 doesn't seem to have any lash/slop in the rear end. I don't know if that is normal for a bike with 40,000 miles or not.

But the new wing feels much tighter.

I will have 40,000 miles on it in about 2 years. I hope it stays tight.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Congrats to you both. :congrats: Enjoy that new smell. :doorag:

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
... I asked the dealership to air them up before I left. They said the tires were at 25 lb air pressure and 30 lb. ....
Don't know where those numbers came from, but they sure don't look right to me. The '02 had the tire pressure sticker on the inside of the trunk lid... check to see if it's in the same place on the '09 and use those pressures.

Also, on the newer Wings I think the heated seat is somehow tied in with the grip heaters. So, swapping out the original heated seat with the Corbin heated seat might get a little involved. Maybe someone that has already been down that road before can advise you about using the Corbin with your new Wing's controllers and heated grips.

Have fun on that new Wing! :cool:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dont forget the tax :money1:deduction available for new MC purchases that was part of the "stimulus package." I bought mine February two weeks before the bill was signed and do not qualify.:cus:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does the 02 have chain drive on the camshaft like the 09?
Or has this allready been addressed?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
"It was late when I made the deal on the phone.
I arrived as the dealership was closing.
I didn't really get a chance to ask what changes they made since my 2002."

The salesman would not have had a clue anyway. You got better info here.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
The most significant improvement the 09 has over the 02 is a stronger frame. The rest of the improvements or features the 09 model has over the 02 model are just minor enhancements compared to the stronger, redesigned frame.

·
Registered
151 Posts
YOU NOW HAVE A WARRANTY!!!!!!!!

Congrats on new bike, have fun!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts