GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I just purchased my first new to me bike in over 20 years. My other bike is a 1984 goldwing aspencade with less then 100k. We decided since we are getting older we would like to travel more on two wheels. The new ride is a 2002 Yellow 1800 with 76k what a massive difference between the two bikes. Thanks to this forum I'm already fixing the problems on the bike that the dealership did not fix. The first picture is new bike the other two pictures is how my garage looks right now.

Attachments

·
Vendor
18,113 Posts
Congratulations !!! Before I forget, the 2001-03s are the fastest of the 5th gens, and many will say that yellow is the fastest of the 9 colors available that span that 3 year period. Others will have to defend the color thing, but I can guarantee that the 2001-03s are quickest because of their ECM programming.

Sorry ... but when it comes to 5th gens, I not only have an eye for speed, but have an eye for things that are needed too. I have some suggestions.

From here it looks like your Wing needs some attention.
- To me it looks like it's time for a set of front springs. The distance between the top of the fender and the headlamps is narrow. Being new to having a 5th gen, it may ride great; however, it will ride much better with new springs. Overhaul part and new springs are not that expensive. Neither is this other stuff.
- Also, be sure to get the riders step-rubber replaced, so that you foot will not slip off that bare metal in wet weather. Be sure to inspect the other side.
- In 2004, 5th gens came with a windscreen vent. It looks like you have a newer aftermarket windscreen, but if you live in, or tour through a hot climate, a vent is a big +.
- It looks like the trunk lid could be chaffing where it is mates the trunk. To help with that, you might want an inner trunk support system from WingRider. http://wingriderproducts.com/products.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions on what I need to get done. The trunk lid is rubbing the paint off. I have already ordered new front foot peg rubber and I will be looking into the front springs. I ride mostly in the upper midwest since I'm from Iowa so not alot real high temps and yes this bike is crazy fast. LOL I'm getting ready to do a full service of the whole bike so I'm sure I will have more questions. I am a mechanic by trade so I should be able to do most if not all of the service work.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Congratulations !!! Before I forget, the 2001-03s are the fastest of the 5th gens, and many will say that yellow is the fastest of the 9 colors available that span that 3 year period. Others will have to defend the color thing, but I can guarantee that the 2001-03s are quickest because of their ECM programming.

Sorry ... but when it comes to 5th gens, I not only have an eye for speed, but have an eye for things that are needed too. I have some suggestions.

From here it looks like your Wing needs some attention.
- To me it looks like it's time for a set of front springs. The distance between the top of the fender and the headlamps is narrow. Being new to having a 5th gen, it may ride great; however, it will ride much better with new springs. Overhaul part and new springs are not that expensive. Neither is this other stuff.
- Also, be sure to get the riders step-rubber replaced, so that you foot will not slip off that bare metal in wet weather. Be sure to inspect the other side.
- In 2004, 5th gens came with a windscreen vent. It looks like you have a newer aftermarket windscreen, but if you live in, or tour through a hot climate, a vent is a big +.
- It looks like the trunk lid could be chaffing where it is mates the trunk. To help with that, you might want an inner trunk support system from WingRider. http://wingriderproducts.com/products.html
Thanks for that link to WingRiders. I have been wanting to order one of those trunk lid support systems, but not sure of the source. Looks like they do not offer online ordering, so I just now filled out their online contact form, and will wait to hear back from them.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions on what I need to get done. The trunk lid is rubbing the paint off. I have already ordered new front foot peg rubber and I will be looking into the front springs. I ride mostly in the upper midwest since I'm from Iowa so not alot real high temps and yes this bike is crazy fast. LOL I'm getting ready to do a full service of the whole bike so I'm sure I will have more questions. I am a mechanic by trade so I should be able to do most if not all of the service work.
The vent helps more than you're giving it credit for. You can buy a vent and cut the windshield to fit.

It was/is a common mod.

There were/are both Honda and aftermarket ones available,

·
Vendor
18,113 Posts
GoldWingrGreg is WRONG!!!

Pearl sunburst Orange 02s are the fastest!!!:wink2:
01 Illusion Reds are even faster!:surprise:

Rayjoe
You are correct. Actually there is an 01 Illusion Red that is the fastest 5th gen. But his engine is no longer stock. It is road by Mr. Cain, who is the fastest GL1800 rider on the Gap.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The vent helps more than you're giving it credit for. You can buy a vent and cut the windshield to fit.

It was/is a common mod.

There were/are both Honda and aftermarket ones available,
I agree. After having a 93 GL1500 Aspencade with vent in the mid 1990s, I later installed one in a BMW, a Yamaha VR, and a Harley. I used a standard Goldwing vent, and carefully cut the other shields to accommodate. The vent can be closed when preferred, but when open it flows air in and also relieves the vacuum bubble somewhat. Now with a Madstad, I am without a vent for the first time in many years. It's not needed for the Madstad though, and may actually disrupt its designed flow characteristics for the worse.

Since I installed GW vents in those other brand bikes, I began to see others with the GW style vent, to where it has became very common. Doubt I was the first, but it doesn't take long for a good idea to catch on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yellowtail 02, I know you are enjoying your GW upgrade. I've got an '87 Aspencade that I just can't get rid of and I'm still getting used to my 'new' '08. Maybe you've seen the thread about guys with aching hips on the 1800's. I have that same problem and I'm curious if you have discovered an issue between your 1200 and 1800. It usually happens after riding, then coming to a stop, I've got to be careful about putting my legs down. Also, standing up for a bit while riding helps. My 1800 has floorboards and I wonder if that might be changing the riding position just enough for cramps. I have the original footpegs and if I weren't so lazy, I'd switch to see if that would make a difference. Have a good one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not been able to ride any distance to give you an answer. My 1200 has a custom seat so it sits different stock. I need to install some parts before I ride any distance. So far my short rides are fine no problems.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome to the group! Lots of good advise and many members willing to offer their help here if needed. Congrats on your new ride...love the color.

Yes.... the early yellow ones are faster!!!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,475 Posts
If the dealer won’t make it right, a new upgraded frame runs $2950 plus shipping. This is a weak point in the frames made prior to the 2005 model year frame. The frame gusset plate is too short and allows the thin tubes to flex and break at the weld seam in this spot. Starting with the late model year built 2004s, they began using a frame with longer gussets. This is the 2005 model’s frame. This change stopped the frame issues for the 1800. Good luck, don’t let the dealer try to tell you they’ve never heard of a frame breaking on an 1800, they have been popping up with this issue since the 2002 model year.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts