GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were on our way to Branson last week and were in Friday night traffic (5:45 p.m.) when a friend's bike caught fire! We pulled off the side of the road and two other people stopped (in 4 wheel vehicles). They each had a fire extingquisher but neither one worked. The fire department was called and put out the fire. The bike was a 2003 1800 (37K) and had a history of over heating at low speeds (did not reach red line). The fire started behind the front fender below the timing chain area. Something had to feed the fire as the flames went about 12' into the air and heavy black smoke rose so high the fire department did not have trouble finding our location. Does anybody have any idea as to what could have started this kind of fire? The fire department said it was to far gone by the time they arrived (approximately 9 mintues from the onset of the fire) to be able to tell. I have pictures, if someone can tell me how to post them as I have no idea how to do that. Here is a web site for the pictures. http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=qw6 ... 1&y=xkorn5

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Man looks awful. Had he hit anything that might have punctured the oil filter or maybe a short in driving lights?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think it's a total! :cry:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I met another GL1800 rider in Estes this past summer... He had had his front lower cowl catch fire. fortunately he was able to get it out before it went through the oil filter or anything else. If I remember correctly he said it started with the left runing light, took out the cowling, horn, and the wiring for the lights....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike had driving lights on it and we had about a 1/2 tank of fuel when the fire started.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Heavy Black smoke for a Black Wing! Too bad, he should have had a white one, it's Faster! Sorry for the loss and glad no one got hurt

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wonder if Mother Honda would be interested in investigating the cause of the fire. You might try to contact them or the local dealership. Just a thought. Sorry for the loss-I would be heartsick if it happened to me.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Man, I feel for you. May God rest her soul until she is reincarnated as a shiny new '07! Hope everything goes well in the search for a replacement.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If I was a betting man, I'd say it was oil. If I remember right, oil only burns white when it's coming out of an exhaust pipe. The rest of the time it's pretty black. Did your friend have a Tulsa belly pan?

·
Vendor
22,226 Posts
I seem to recall seeing a melted spot on my cowl once when I had it off where it had gotten hot from around the exhausts. I will have to go back and look, I forget where it was but you could only see it when the cowl was removed. I saw a similar spot on my old Kawasaki Concours where the headers came close to the bottom cowl.

Once the fire starts, it will burn plastic and rubber hoses and put off black smoke, that really doesn't tell you anything about what the source of the ignition was. Driving lights with no cooling airflow for an extended time could be suspect. So could the exhaust headers near the cowl edges.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Branson Missouri is a place to be avoided, unless you like traffic jams. Personally, I would go 100 miles out of my way to go around Branson.

G

·
tooltator said:
I wonder if Mother Honda would be interested in investigating the cause of the fire. You might try to contact them or the local dealership. Just a thought. Sorry for the loss-I would be heartsick if it happened to me.
Mother Honda? Strange. :shock:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would love to know if you find out what caused the fire. Looks like an oil issue but it had to start somewhere. Notice the gas tank didnt blow. If it was gas it would of went up much faster. Something got really hot and ignited. Good Luck. I feel your pain.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts