GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

If there are any older Bunkhouse owners, I just bought an '03 in like-new condition from a friend of mine who passed away. It has a 6-pin square plug, and I've got the 6-pin square to 5-pin flat plug adapter for my 1800, but I'd like the option to pull this camper with my car as well, and that will have a 4-pin flat plug. I'm in the process of installing a hitch on my car right now, I'll be running the wiring in the next day or two.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who knows where I might find a 6-pin square to 4-pin flat plug adapter, or has anyone made of their own and can share the wiring diagram? I contacted Bushtech but they just don't have any information available on the older square plugs.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If your trailer has separate turn signals from the brake lights, you will need a 4-to-5 adapter when you pull with your car, I think. Your car will be sending a signal that works the brake light/turn signal, and the trailer will be looking for a turn signal OR a brake light signal. Electrical Connection (and others) sell an adapter that will convert your Wings separate brake and turn signals into one signal for a trailer that has combined lights, like most cars, but I do not know if it will work in reverse. The good news is, I am sure you are not the first with this problem. I'm confident someone with more knowledge will jump in and either confirm, or straighten me out. Either way it is all good.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Here is one, https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/30104.html
The issue you will have is if your trailer has amber turn signals, then they will light up when you apply the brakes, it is not legal to run amber brake lights. You would nee to change the amber lenses or bulbs to red so the trailer has all red lights facing rearward.

5 to 4 converters do not work as 4 to 5 converters, you cannot just hook them up backwards, will not work.

Reactions: Andy Cote

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

If there are any older Bunkhouse owners, I just bought an '03 in like-new condition from a friend of mine who passed away. It has a 6-pin square plug, and I've got the 6-pin square to 5-pin flat plug adapter for my 1800, but I'd like the option to pull this camper with my car as well, and that will have a 4-pin flat plug. I'm in the process of installing a hitch on my car right now, I'll be running the wiring in the next day or two.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who knows where I might find a 6-pin square to 4-pin flat plug adapter, or has anyone made of their own and can share the wiring diagram? I contacted Bushtech but they just don't have any information available on the older square plugs.

Thanks in advance for your help!
congratulations on the new bike

·
Registered
207 Posts
If the trailer has amber turn signal lights you don't need an adapter, you need a converter. The most common converters are for converting a vehicle with amber turns to a trailer wired with combined brake and turn signals. That will not work for you. You need one specifically designed to convert a vehicle with combined brake & turn signals to a trailer wired for separate amber turn signals. These are much less common, so you need to be careful when selecting one. If you have an RV dealer or service facility near you that would be a good place to source the correct one as they are common in the RV world.

I have never seen one pre-wired with any connectors so you will have to get the correct connectors and splice them onto the converter.

Here is one example: https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Curt/C56196.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the fast responses, you've given me some options. Since the Bunkhouse will primarily be pulled by my bike and already has a 5-pin flat adapter wired for the bike, I can take my time and figure out the best solution.

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
Ck with uhaul .

·
Registered
762 Posts
Does your car have separate turn and brake lights? If so, just use a five connector on the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts