GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I experienced problems with my transmission now don't wanted Shift from 4 gear to 5th gear the first time cranks horrible I thought they was going to explode whole thing now sometimes I'm not going to make it go from 4 to 5 gear I don't feel secure or not anymore to ride the bike in a long distance I have no clue how much will be the cost to repair can anybody give me an answer

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
Go buy another and part yours out to get $$ out of it good luck

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Serviced the Clutch Slave Cylinder Recently?... If it's sticking, then you'll also experience Grinding Gears upon Shifting.

I picked up a 1990 GL1500 for cheap, because the PO thought that the transmission was bad... had Grinding Gears.
Only cost me $20 to rebuild the Slave Cylinder, after which it shifted fine again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ghost shifting huh, a good name, but what causes it? To me, it sounds like corrosion or debris, possibly in the shift rail, detent ball area. Maybe I'm all wet.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
I feel your pain .. I ruined my first 1800 in 47,000 . I rode it a bit harder than Honda ever designed it for . I traded bike off and upgraded to a 2008 . 250,000 miles and zero tranny issues. But I still killed my second of 2 ADG's in these 1800's . New models elimanted the ADG issue completely by elimanting it , thank goodness. I had estimates of $3000-5000 to fix my 2005 wing BTW to newer question but that was several years ago and local kinda . And I would on,y allow a few places to even look at it . Too many " think" they are wing wrenches . I know better . :wink2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts