GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone knowledgeable of the 2003 model years articulate the different models that were available for for that year. If possible, what would each model include as part of that base model? I have a chance to buy an 03 and before looking at it, want to get up on the different models that were sold for that year and what each model included. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
410 Posts
In '03, there were only two models. ABS and non ABS.

'03 was one year before vented windshields and lighted handle bars.

'03 was the year they put a filter in the audio. Not sure what that accomplished but it's there.

'03 was the year that had mandatory frame welds, requardless of how the frame weld looked. Mine was in that group.

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Two Models

GL1800 - Non-ABS
GL1800A - ABS
Two models only, I owned two different 03's, both ABS

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Also somewere there's a listing of recalls on all Goldwings.

Some had the ECM replaced because of over heating.
The trunk latch mechanism recalled.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Have an 03 abs. Happy with it, survived the weld recall, not needed. No other recalls have affected the bike.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Have an 03 abs. Happy with it, survived the weld recall, not needed.
All the 03 models are to have the lower crossmember weld rewelded regardless of any weld inspections. The 01, 02 and early 04 models were to have the lower crossmember welds inspected and if needed... rewelded....but all 03 models are to be rewelded regardless.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
D Dawg - take the VIN number to a Honda dealer and have them run it. The results will tell you of any service bulletins (recalls) that affect the bike, if it was completed, if completed when, what warranties are in effect, and when the bike was put into service. Don't buy one unless you do that.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
would they (HOnda database) be able to tell me if the bike VIN number has been serviced for any recalls?
Yes the service department can. Hopefully you can find someone that wants to be helpful.

·
Registered
911 Posts
2003 frames

All the 03 models are to have the lower crossmember weld rewelded regardless of any weld inspections. The 01, 02 and early 04 models were to have the lower crossmember welds inspected and if needed... rewelded....but all 03 models are to be rewelded regardless.
Just want to say thanks Roadie...it was after reading a post of yours on this subject in another thread, I got my buddy to go back to Honda after previously being told his bike was ok, and had his rewelded...thanks again...ride safe....

Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts