GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone might have some insight on this. Suddenly today went to start the bike and nothing. No dash lights, no headlights, no ignition, nothing in that reagard. The aux outlet in the left fairing pocket is working, however. I also get an odd faint clicking noise from under the rear part of the seat with the key in the "on" position but not pressing the start button. I also have an aux outlet in the right fairing pocket that appears to be going off and on, while the left remains on all the time as it should with the key "on". All the fuses appear to be good, especially the IGN which I pulled out and inspected carefully. Any thoughts? Appreciate it. :-(

·
Registered
679 Posts
Check your battery with a voltmeter when trying to start. You'll probably see it go below 11.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I agree. It definately sounds like a dead battery! Whatever it is, I hope it's a simple problem. Nobody likes a bad battery, but at least it's an easy fix with minimal troubleshooting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got it on a trickle charger overnight so I suppose I'll know for sure in the morning when I get up. The battery is only a few months old, I just replaced it cause the original finally gave in. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that's all it is since the bike is my preferred mode of transport almost everywhere I go.:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I've got it on a trickle charger overnight so I suppose I'll know for sure in the morning when I get up. The battery is only a few months old, I just replaced it cause the original finally gave in. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that's all it is since the bike is my preferred mode of transport almost everywhere I go.:thumbup:
Just curious. Did you replace the battery yourself? If so, did you follow the preparation steps carefully to get the battery ready for installation?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,480 Posts
Do you have anything installed that might have run it down while parked? The bike has a built in 5ma or less drain on the battery with the key off.

·
Registered
582 Posts
One thing I would definitely check would be the battery connections and the ground connections. If either of those are bad you may "suddenly" get symptoms like this.
RogerB

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I am betting on a relay or some type of short.

Even a pretty dead battery will light up the dash lights and a few things. It will not fire the bike, but for sure lights that take no power will light up. And if the AUX still works, then the battery is not totally dead, it has enough power in it to light dash lights and so on if it can power the Aux. It is not the ignition switch as the aux runs through that(although it does have different contact keys in it so could be)

A relay or dirty fuse contact would be the first things to check.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Battery

Put the battery on a trickle charger and it is only reading 6 volts after 12 hours. When I turn the key on that drops to only 2. I'm not sure what I might have that is draining the battery. I thought it was very strange that this happened so suddenly. So, I suppose I'll have to troubleshoot a little more to find out where the drain might be. Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Put the battery on a trickle charger and it is only reading 6 volts after 12 hours. When I turn the key on that drops to only 2. I'm not sure what I might have that is draining the battery. I thought it was very strange that this happened so suddenly. So, I suppose I'll have to troubleshoot a little more to find out where the drain might be. Thanks for all the responses.
Suppose your charger could be bad, but my bet is the battery is shot.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Now we have more info. A motorcycle battery will charge pretty quick, if it is only going to six and dropping to two.........

Go get a new battery. Shorted cell in that one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be on the way tomorrow and will be keeping my fingers crossed. Only been a day and I miss my ride immensly.:-(

·
Registered
246 Posts
:agree: I'l 3rd. that. :agree:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm back in the game. Old battery out, new battery in, bike started like a champ and we're back on the road again. I never new it was possible to short a cell in the battery, but I'm exceedingly glad that's all it was. Thanks for all the information from an obviously deep, deep well of collective knowledge. Cheers.

:bow:

·
DSI Keeper
9,172 Posts
Great ending! The only thing worse than learning this lesson at home is learning it on the road. Such as I did last year in Summersville, when I tried to jump start a 1200. Instant death to the battery minutes before it was showtime to ride. Glad I have my riding buddies (TravelinLite, Andy and Eric) to help me get back on the road. :bow:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, I was fortunate to have it happen at my house rather than out on the road somewhere. Like you, I also have several buddies who ride who would have helped me out at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts