GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All;

I am shopping around for a 2003 or 2004 Candy Apple Red Wing. I found a 2003 and was wondering how can I tell if this is one that has had a frame problem, and had the Over Heating problem?

If I understand correctly, the only difference between a 2003 and 2004 Candy Apple Red is that the 2004 has a vent in the windshield. Is that the only difference?

I thought about calling Hal, but I'm in Michigan and due to weather, my window of opportunity is a little limited. Besides, I am sure that Hal has some chrome for me!!!

Thanks for the help

Brian
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The 04 also has lighted controls and an additional heat shield if my memory serves me right. As far as the overheat and frame issues you simply need to check the VIN # and see if it falls into recall range for the frame and as far as the OH I would think that would already be done. In fact if it fell into the frame recall it better be done as well, but like anything else check to be sure.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Found this in the archives
If you look down your left tunnel opening, with the handlebars at a full-lock left turn you should be able to see your VIN sticker attached to the frame.

The last six digits of the VIN number will tell you the story: the affected bike ranges (as recalled by Honda) fall within the range of 111803 - 113582.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Brian, the dealer also has a list of vin #'s for affected wings...ask! Also depends on whether abs or non abs models.

from the notification letter I rec'd from Honda:

03 abs model from vin 1hfsc474*3a200001 thru1hfsc474*3a201126
03 non abs from vin 1hfsc470*3a200001 thru 1hfsc470*3a204860

The ecm may need changing, ask the dealer and then ask to see the punch mark (done after the change) on the right side by the oil level check.

Good Luck.

03 Hotrod Pearl Yellow 1800A

·
Registered
891 Posts
Shop around

I too was looking for a 03,but for the same price I got a 04,like they said lighted controls,vent,and they said they got the bugs out on the 04's. In my town a dude scooped up the last 03. He got it right before me ,one week,over heated,fixed with ECM,then fram crack,he raised all kinds of cain,to no avail,didn't get new bike. If you can't get at lease 1K off get the 04. :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
03 v. 04

I to was thinking about an 03 but up came the overheating, frame cracksalso non-abs v. abs so I got the 04 candy black cherry /w abs waited 6 mos for bike and parts but well worth it. thank you all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.