GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
:lol: color=darkblue][/color]i just took delivery of new bike have 80 miles on it, love it so far. question when idling hot or cold it makes a noise like a dry belt or light metal rubbing sound, as rpm increases it changes to higher pitch. when on highway at 55 mph let off to slow down you can hear whineing noise.will this go away with milage?

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Could be the alt drive unit whining. Remove the left engine sidecover and see if the noise is louder. If so, it's the drive unit. Some are really loud and some just sounds like a jet engine winding up!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'll take a guess you are hearing the alternator noise, if it's the alternator it's the nature of the beast. To confirm if it is alternator, take off your left side engine cover and start the engine, compare the noise you have heard to what you are hearing now.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Suggestion

If you know someone else that has a 1800, compare your sounds with theirs. You are liked to hear some good whining from the alternator and some tapping/ticking from the fuel injectors. Other than this, she is pretty quiet.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It is the dreaded altenator whine. Mine got better with milage or I got used to it. The problem results from sitting on an engine and then you and it riding behind a wind screen. Enjoy your new ride and welcome to the group.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yup !

What they all said ! Welcome to the group ! 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
engine noise

thanks for the replies, i took a ride down to honda shop they were no help. talked to some riders who were there and we listen to mine and theirs, we all agreed that its the cam chains, we were used to the cam belts on the 1500. i have very little alt noise.thanks for help.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
It Ain't the Chains RP!

If it's the chains, I'll buy you a cup. If it's the alt, you buy me one! But if we meet at Leesburg Honda the coffee is free! LOL!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I always thought it was the cam chains...I was wrong, someone on the board suggested I take off the left side engine cover, yep, it's the alternator making that noise!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts