GL1800Riders Forums banner

2004 "Candy Black Cherry" GL1800

3K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  WingNut43 
#1 ·
I ordered (and provided a deposit on) a 2004 GL1800 in "Candy Black Cherry" back in September. At the time I ordered the bike, the dealer gave me a delivery date of 11-16. That date has obviously come and gone and the new date has been moved several times!! Today, I'm [AGAIN] told the bike was shipped to the dealership on 12/8, therefore it should arrive this week. I've heard this before!

Anyone else ordered this new color? Are any of you having the same problems as I? Has anyone received or seen this new color?

I'm about ready to look to another dealer!! :(

#2 ·
I have seen the color and if I wasn't totally happy and excited with my 03 candy red I would be looking at one. More than looking, buying. Patience doesn't come natural to us humans. But call around to locate one and get your deposit back if you can find a better date.

G
#3 ·
Delivery

Honda is just starting to release them. But remember that they can't deliver them to every dealer at exactly the same time. Once the bike is manufactured it is then shipped to one of six Honda regional warehouses around the country. It is then consolidated there with any other bikes going to the dealer in the same shipment. So getting a motorcycle delivered to the dealer isn't an instantaneous process. But if the dealer has the shipping notice from Honda then the bike usually shows up within a week. Honda transmits the shipping notices to the dealer every day.

#6 ·
Same info on Black Cherry

I'm getting the same story on the 04 Black Cherry I ordered over two months ago. Just last week my dealer told me that it would probably be the end of January or early in February before I can get my new wing. I wonder what game Honda is playing with us. At one time my dealer told me that there were so many 03's left over they were trying to sell them down before they were going to release the White and Candy Black Cherry.
Gerald

#7 ·
Several years ago I had a Wineberry '89 Wing. Is the new Black Cherry the same or close to that color? I haven't seen any in the dealerships but the pictures look very much like the same color. Sure looks like a great color, hope I don't have to wait until March to see one at the FL District Rally in Kissimmee.

.. Sue

#8 ·
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:04 am Post subject: Same info on Black Cherry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting the same story on the 04 Black Cherry I ordered over two months ago. Just last week my dealer told me that it would probably be the end of January or early in February before I can get my new wing. I wonder what game Honda is playing with us. At one time my dealer told me that there were so many 03's left over they were trying to sell them down before they were going to release the White and Candy Black Cherry.
Our dealer in US said this monday that I'll get my white and my friend gets his candy black cherry this week ! Let see ....

#12 ·
If I...

If I didn't think that 05 was going to bring a complete redesign of the Wing, along with a 2000 or 2300 c.c. motor, I'd seriously be tempted to go for an 04 in Candy Black Cherry.

I love my black, and I really feel safe with all the chrome I have on it, but something about that black cherry really gets my attention. Can't wait to see one in person. I liked it on the Rune. :?:

#14 ·
Re: If I...

OzarksF6 said:
If I didn't think that 05 was going to bring a complete redesign of the Wing, along with a 2000 or 2300 c.c. motor, I'd seriously be tempted to go for an 04 in Candy Black Cherry.
What makes you think Honda will redesign the Wing again in 05? They've got a lot invested in development time and no competion. I would think they'll try to milk this design for quite a few more years. Maybe internally to Honda they'll start the redesign process for an '08 or '09 release.

When I said no competion I realize BMW has the LT and Harley has their bikes. I looked at a BMW a little while ago and was shocked. The base model is missing some things that I would expect to be standard on a touring bike (intercomm and trip computer). The mid and high end bikes are extremely expensive IMHO. They are no more reliable then Hondas. The Harley are almost in a different class in my opinion. They just don't have the speed, handling and reliability of a water cooled engine. I'm not knocking Harleys here. It's just my opinion that the Harley is a different animal.

Now if Harley was to build a touring bike around that V-Rod engine. Watch out. Honda could have some real competion on it's hands. Not a bad thing for us consumers.

#15 ·
Black Cherry

One of my friends picked his up today from Honda of Tupelo. It is a very pretty bike, I, too had a '89 wineberry and I believe this Black Cherry is just a little lighter in color than the '89. Friends traded in his '89 Wineberry and he says he isn't planning on painting his Wineberry trailer, that it is almost an exact match.

#16 ·
I love the Candy Black Cherry. If it had been available a year ago, I would have had a tough time deciding between it and my Illusion Blue beauty. Wineberry used to be my favorite color for Wings, and I'm surprised it took them so long to bring it back, even if they did it under a different name.

Very nice!

John in Vegas

#17 ·
McNeal said
What makes you think Honda will redesign the Wing again in 05? They've got a lot invested in development time and no competion. I would think they'll try to milk this design for quite a few more years

Kawasaki has finally quit making the Voyager XII after a 17 year run, and is in the development stages for a replacement. I used to own one, and for being an old design, it performed remarkably well. If Kawasaki gets their act together and has a tourer ready for the 2005 model year, Honda will indeed have competition. In addition, Honda has a lot of egg on their faces from all the problems and recalls on the 1800, along with the instant association of low resale value and uncertain future. My guess is they will want an all new bike as soon as possible to distance themselves from the current fiasco. JMHO.

#20 ·
Duane in Bakersfield said:
In addition, Honda has a lot of egg on their faces from all the problems and recalls on the 1800, along with the instant association of low resale value and uncertain future. My guess is they will want an all new bike as soon as possible to distance themselves from the current fiasco. JMHO.
If the current recall does indeed put this frame weld issue to rest, I wouldn't expect to see a major redesign for a few years yet. Look how long Honda stuck with the 1500. Before the 1500, there had been a major redesign about every four years. They might redesign the frame joints or something like that, and continue to fix the relatively minor flaws and manufacturing issues.

Of course, it remains to be seen if the frame issue is indeed behind us, as I hope it is!!! All you have to do is ride one once, and you know this is a great machine.

John in Vegas

#21 ·
In addition, Honda has a lot of egg on their faces from all the problems and recalls on the 1800, along with the instant association of low resale value and uncertain future. My guess is they will want an all new bike as soon as possible to distance themselves from the current fiasco. JMHO.
I agree that the frame problem is bad from a PR standpoint and I'm going to have mine fixed ASAP. I was still under the impression though that it was only a small number of bikes that were effected. The point here being that Honda isn't the only manufacturer to have quality problems. Did you happen to read the IronButt reports from this year? It seemed that 90% of mechanical break downs were BMWs, yet BWM's only represented less than 50% or so of the bikes entered. I've heard of several LTs having the rear end fail.

I guess from my point of view I can't see Honda redesigning the Wing just for the sake of these few issues which can be fixed on the factor floor. Now if Yamaha and/or Kawasaki are both in the process of building a new full dress tourer then that competition will probably force Honda to make some visible changes. There's only a few things I'd like to see changed on the Wing and those are bells and whistle type stuff which can easily be fitted onto the current platform.

I'll say one thing though. It's a great time to be a customer of motorcycles. The choices are endless. Just wish I had the monetary supply to go along with it. :D

#22 ·
Got It!!!! (FINALLY)

Drove up to the dealership to find out what in the heck was going on with my new Wing. Was told it was shipped from Seattle on 12/8/2003 via Roadway. Was tired of waiting!!!!!!! :oops: While at the dealership, a Roadway truck pulled up and VOILA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My new 2004 Wing finally arrived and I am glad I waited! The color is PERFECT and all that have seen it so far love it!!! :D

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/douglasre ... cherry.htm

#25 ·
Previous Wing was BLACK and had a lot of chrome on it! Only chrome so far is rotor covers and Ring of Fire. Going to wait a bit to figure out exactly what chrome pieces to get and if I stripe, what color combos. Wife is "color person" so she is looking at pin stripe colors. Won't happen until March of next year when we go to the Florida rally though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.