GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CB off my 2004 Wing and wonder if it’s compatible or will work with my ‘08 Wing which was not installed or sold when new Also, does a Wing have the wiring harness even though it didn’t come with one?

Thanks...

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have a CB off my 2004 Wing and wonder if it’s compatible or will work with my ‘08 Wing which was not installed or sold when new Also, does a Wing have the wiring harness even though it didn’t come with one?

Thanks...
Yes , all wings have the wiring. If yours has the CB control on the handle bar then that is a dead give-a-way. Yes Part number for the CB is 08E70-MCA-R10 and fits 2001-2010 Goldwings

·
Registered
909 Posts
The CB's for 1st Gen 1800's from '01-'10's should all be the same. The 2nd Gen 1800's from '12 - '17 have a different wiring harness and connector and require an adapter harness that apparently is no longer made. Hopefully you got the filters off the '04 when you pulled the CB and can put them back on the '08 with the radio. Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Making the swap will require the swap of the Filters that also come with the CB when New. They are a simple plug and play. Actually I have an extra. I also have the instructions with pictures on install but for the 2005 which might be the exact same. But, I think you can google them, too

·
Registered
878 Posts
CB Radio swap

I put the CB from my 2003 Wing in my 2008 wing. All wire connections were the same except the antenna wire. The fittings on the '08 were different so had to get a new antenna wire. Got it from Sierra Electronics. Don't forget the filters also.

Reactions: Goldwinger55

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Making the swap will require the swap of the Filters that also come with the CB when New. They are a simple plug and play. Actually I have an extra. I also have the instructions with pictures on install but for the 2005 which might be the exact same. But, I think you can google them, too
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I didn’t pull the filters w/the CB. I would be very grateful for the Instructions and filters. My Wing has the Nav unit in the trunk but does not have the CB harness showing. I imagine it’s under the seat?

PM me for the instructions and the filters. Thanks! :grin2:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bike has the CB controls. I’ll pull the seat to look for the wiring harness. I just wonder if the tray is different for a model equipped w/wo an installed CB?

·
Registered
657 Posts
No. The CB fits under the floor of the trunk. You will have to drill a hole in the rear wall of the lower trunk to get the CB wiring to the Gw wiring harness. The instructions that came with my 2009 CB were good. Can't remember for sure but you may have to remove the top shelter to install some of the filters.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The CB's for 1st Gen 1800's from '01-'10's should all be the same. The 2nd Gen 1800's from '12 - '17 have a different wiring harness and connector and require an adapter harness that apparently is no longer made. Hopefully you got the filters off the '04 when you pulled the CB and can put them back on the '08 with the radio. Good luck with it!!

Actually the radio itself for the '01-10 is exactly the same as the '12-17. Early ones are made by Clarion and later models are made by Radio Sound. The difference is, as Griffalo stated, is the wiring harness. But you can pull off the end cover and expose the connectors and either wiring harness plugs into either radio. When I installed the later model Radio Sound unit in my '10 Wing, I contacted both manufacturers and they wouldn't even talk to me. Finally found that Sierra Electronics seems to be the only source for the harness. By harness, I mean the pigtail that comes with the radio, not an adapter. The catch is they know they are the exclusive source and will only sell you one if they install it. They charged me $100 plus the cost of shipping it to them for the new harness. They paid return shipping. That's been about 3 years ago and can't swear they still have them, but that's how I'm using the '15 model radio in my '10 bike.

Johnny S

·
Registered
335 Posts
IIRC, there are 2 filters, one for the fuel pump and one for the alternator. The shelter has to come off to connect into the radio.

On my bike, I had to install the CB radio harness as well. The audio wiring was not there except for power and ground. 08 might be a different animal.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Filters

It has been a while, but I think the filters are on the fuel pump and the radiator fans. There is a cable that goes from the back of the bike to the front that is not included in the Goldwing original assembly. It is added when the CB is installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts