GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 GL1800 Diet Plan: (35 pcs Deleted so far)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've had my 1800 for a year now... As with my 1500's, I feel it's just Overly-Complicated in terms excess plastic.

Tossing the excess is an immense help in terms Servicing the bike, as fewer parts makes it MUCH easier to remove the tupperware to access the guts.
I now feel that I could actually do a Road-side Repair (removing the fairing) and be on-my way again in ~2hrs... vs 2-Days in Stock Configuration.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: proudpeacock

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would still like to see pics of your bike if you don't mind... dirty or otherwise. Just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would still like to see pics of your bike if you don't mind... dirty or otherwise. Just out of curiosity.

^ (Bike on far left): Here for example, you can't even tell that all the Forward Inner Fairings are gone

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Interesting. I like the "so far" part of your post. :)

Keep going. I'd like to see how far you can go with this.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When you say "diet" are you actually trying to reduce the weight or ease of maintenance? All those parts you deleted so far probably netted 2lbs. while exposing some of the electrical connections to the elements. Not that you have a lot of weather elements to deal with in California.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
When you say "diet" are you actually trying to reduce the weight or ease of maintenance? All those parts you deleted so far probably netted 2lbs. while exposing some of the electrical connections to the elements. Not that you have a lot of weather elements to deal with in California.

I removed them primarily for Ease-of-Maintenance.
-Deleting the (2) Lower air ducts has the added benefit of turning the vents (by rider knee) into Warm Air Vents (as found on GL1500's)... I think this is an Upgrade.
-Deleting the (2) Upper air ducts (and re-locating the Engine Air Temp Sensor to rt dash vent) has no noticeable effect on climate control via the dash vents.
-I kept the plastic cover in front of engine (too protect electronics), but changed the mounting hardware. Also made Rubber Flaps that replace the removed
(and difficult to un/install plastic covers), to fully duct any airflow into the intakes for engine and radiator fans.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...Detail: Re-mounting of Forward Cover

...Detail: Re-mounting of Forward Cover

I removed the rt/lt "Mounting Ears" for this cover, and replaced instead with a bent alum bar, attached via the turn signal cancelation switch. As such, the panel is bolt attached at bottom with existing (2) SCHS's, and the top slides under the bar. Now it is very easy to re/install compared to Stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...Detail: Remount Wire Harness

By removing the (2) Upper Air Ducts, had to then Re-mount a wire harness connector attached to each one.

I made a simple aluminum bracket (Right Side shown; left similar)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Yea, not for me, kinda like the way it is. What roadside repairs? 2 days? If you hit a deer maybe.

Like your ingenuity though.

Reactions: gray red rider
1 - 13 of 13 Posts