GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am looking to buy a trike. It is a 2004 Gl1800 Motortrike and I was wondering when you get the title does the title say its a trike or is it just a title for the bike? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hey all, I am looking to buy a trike. It is a 2004 Gl1800 Motortrike and I was wondering when you get the title does the title say its a trike or is it just a title for the bike? Thanks!

Unfortunately you are probably not going to find an exact answer and each state is different. Here in Illinois, I know those that have bought trikes and many will only have the VIN for the bike. I'm kind of anal and when I was getting ready to have mine converted, I wanted to make sure everything was done correctly. I contacted our Secretary of State (DMV) and was told that I would have to apply for a corrected title as it is no longer a bike but a custom vehicle. I had to fill out a bunch of forms and submit the old title and photos of the completed trike. My title now specifically says it's a trike and has 2 VIN #'s listed. First is the bike VIN and second is the VIN for the California Sidecar conversion body.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Here is how mine is titled. But like I said, I know several in Illinois that when they bought theirs, the title only had the bike VIN and they haven't had any problem getting new title and registration. My only thoughts though would be if there was an insurance issue. Since the title only says motorcycle and the VIN is only for the bike, the insurance company may base any decisions on that fact instead of the fact that it is now a trike. Also, technically it would be an improper titling and registration issue as registration and title if the VIN is decoded, it specifically designates it as the original motorcycle and not the modified trike that it now is...

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
Our trike conversion titles are mc titles. I do not believe there is a trike option here in Idaho. The insurance binder however, spells out they are in fact trike conversions.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Here is my 2 cents worth. If you are concerned, the best thing to do is to contact your states DMV and discuss it with them. They can give you the official answer. If you are buying a something that's already been converted, I would say dont rock the boat and just go with it. If it was owned in a state that doesnt specifically designate it as a trike after a conversion then you dont have a choice. In states like Illinois, it is the responsibility of the bike owner to follow up on the corrected title at the time of conversion. It requires receipts for supplies and parts along with photos showing what was done. And they will probably want a bunch of info on the shop that did the conversion. This is stuff that a future buyer of a trike wont have or be even be able to obtain. Like I mentioned, I know many here that their title still only has the MC VIN and our DMV doesnt actually seem to care. They probably wouldnt be able to do everything to get the title corrected anyway. So even though there is a "Proper" way to do this in many states, many are unaware that it is required or know how to follow through, and it doesnt really seem to make much difference most places anyway.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The add on trike kits are considered accessories here in Ky.. Take out more accessories insurance to cover the accessories.

Worked for me 3 years ago. Bike totaled and got book for it plus covered accessories.

Barney

1 - 7 of 7 Posts