GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 gl1800, upon the return trip home yesterday from a 650 + mile rainy weekend ride, my instrument cluster (speedometer, tachometer, temp, and fuel gauges) are all dead. I noticed that my running lights and cruise control are no longer working as well. Every thing else appears to be working. I checked fuses and found no blown fuses. Battery is good ? I am perplexed to say the least! Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
I have a 2004 gl1800, upon the return trip home yesterday from a 650 + mile rainy weekend ride, my instrument cluster (speedometer, tachometer, temp, and fuel gauges) are all dead. I noticed that my running lights and cruise control are no longer working as well. Every thing else appears to be working. I checked fuses and found no blown fuses. Battery is good ? I am perplexed to say the least! Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
All of those circuits are powered from the tail light relay and fuse, did you use an ohm meter on the fuses? They can look good and be blown.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just visually inspected the fuses, but i will get a multi meter and ohm out the fuse. Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks techdude2000, you were spot on. The 20 amp tail light fuse looked good visually but was no good. Also located the root cause of the issue after replacing the fuse, I noticed that the side marker light (aftermarket) on the left front rotor cover had shorted out probably from riding in the rain all day. I cut the wire to the light and taped it until the light can be replaced.
Once again thank you for the assistance.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
Thanks techdude2000, you were spot on. The 20 amp tail light fuse looked good visually but was no good. Also located the root cause of the issue after replacing the fuse, I noticed that the side marker light (aftermarket) on the left front rotor cover had shorted out probably from riding in the rain all day. I cut the wire to the light and taped it until the light can be replaced.
Once again thank you for the assistance.
You're welcome, glad you found the fuse and the culprit. :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts