GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are my post not showing up help please!!

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need advice on taking an old wing 2004 on a risky trip and what I need to replace its 15 years old surely something is going wrong by now:)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Mines got 370k miles, and if you keep a good alternator and spend some time changing the oil, brakes and rubber, and cleaning switches, they are bullet proof. If you’re really interested in preventative measures, an alternator with 75-100k on it is your weak link. Put your mind at ease and enjoy the ride!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont shame me

It has 12500 miles is all. You never replaced radiator hoses anything that can rot?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
That is no mileage for a Wing. Make sure the fluids are changed and the tires are in good shape, then ride on. What do you consider a risky trip?

Reactions: Donnieontheroad

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
It has 12500 miles is all. You never replaced radiator hoses anything that can rot?
Nope. The hoses last forever. I'd change all the fluids; oil & filter, brake, clutch and coolant. Make sure it has a good battery in it and the cable connections are clean and tight. Check the air filter box for critter habitat. I'd probably get a new set of tires. . Ride it around close to home for a while before you depart on your trip.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
12,500 miles .... ??? Use common sense when you ride .... Believe me .. it will take you any where you want to go in style.

Just ride it!

Donnie ...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
As mentioned, the Alternator, due to miles. Generally thinking of age related maintenance items. You have mentioned coolant hoses, but they have not as of yet been an age issue.
Possibly the starter solenoid, from so many starts and re-starts. I carry one on long trips, just incase, along with extra fuses and a couple relays.
Again when on a trip....Carry an extra headlamp bulb. Other than that, just do a fresh fluid service and other regular maintenance.
Enjoy the trip!:capwin:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
With only 12,500 miles it’s practically new !
I believe your coolant hoses should be fine, lots of heat and cold cycles tend to soften the hoses but with only 12,000 miles I doubt that’s an issue on your bike.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
With that few miles - if you did annual maintenance of your fluids and services you should not have any issues.

Two years ago I left north of Philly PA for Wing Ding 39 in Dallas. I had a mixture of interstates and back roads heading down there. Left Dallas and crossed Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and into Florida the whole day in torrential down pouring rain. The next morning I woke up and started heading down to my son's place in Ft Myers and had some real pounders - I had to pull over under an overpass to just get cover. Visited him for a couple of days, headed cross Florida because heading backup the way I came had worst storms predicted - stayed over at a friends on the east coast then headed out the next morning for home. Got to just south of Washington DC, spent the night there and made it home the next afternoon.

That total trip was close to 4500 miles round trip and this was on my 2004 with 46k miles at the time. So I don't know how much of a risky trip you are planning but I think riding a whole day (ok it only started raining when I entered Louisiana from Texas) in the rain, Florida heat, and one day of 875 total miles ridden might show you that you don't have too much to worry about.

Have a safe trip!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes the plan was new tires and a new battery fresh oil and shaft oil what I usually do before I go. Had dunlop E3's thought I would go with the E4's otherwise same routine.

·
Administrator
4,590 Posts
Sounds like a plan.

Have a safe trip, shoot lots of pictures, and post 'em up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts