GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2004 ABS with ONLY 2435 miles for 15400.00, the bike looks like new.

I've heard that the low mileage could create issues on an older bike?

I've not had a chance to ride it yet.

But what do you guys think...

--

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I'd take for a test ride, then think it over, should be able to find a newer bike for 15,400.00

·
Registered
112 Posts
In '09 I picked up an '05 with less than 8K on the clock. No problems what ever! dealer did put in a new battery, but that was it. If possible, have it checked by your local dealer before you take delivery. :thumbup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At least 1000/1500 bucks too high.
It's at a dealer now, I have not talk with them above and beyond inquiring about the price.

I just wanted get you guys feedback before going any further.

Thanks

--

·
Banned
356 Posts
I recently bought an 04. It had 28k on it. Not as low as the one your looking at, but low mileage nonetheless. No problem's so far. I would say your's is a little on the high side tho. Picked mine up for 12k. Had ton's of add on's too. Luckily, everything added, was stuff I would have added myself. Best deal I ever made at a Harley dealer.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just bought an 05 with 4000 miles and loads of extras for 13,500

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Priced to high IMHO

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
IMO the bike is significantly over priced, but hey, it is worth what you are willing to give. For a bike that has only averaged 300 miles/year I'd be most concerned over the fuel system. All of the fluids should be changed as well.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I know of several people who have bought older rigs with low miles recently. I think it had something to do with people getting back into riding but not being comfortable, also with the cost of fuel, but its put quite a few low mileage rigs on the market in this area anyhow. No big problems so far that I have seen, just the ever present concern with tire age and look to see if they are wreck rebuilds. 15,400 does seem high even considering the low miles. Kelley blue book lists retail for the 04 GL1800 ABS at about 12,900. But, you are the one with hands on, so if the price is okay to you and you like the rig, I say pull the trigger.......

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
3 month back 08 Red ABS, CB, lots of chrome on EBAY for 15,100, there was a base red 08 low miles on this board last week for $14,000. A bike is worth what someone will pay for it and how fast you want to sell it. Of course the longer a seller holds the bike the less it is worth; additionally, this is June, buyers are going to slow down soon.

An extended test ride will tell if the low milage will be a problem, also good points and advice above.

Here is a 2010 base model (6 years newer) that will probably go for 16.5, if it does not have to be red (the fastest color, you can find em cheaper)
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2010-Honda-Gold-Wing---Audio---Comfort-98792696

·
Registered
792 Posts
Make sure that the recall is done! 04's were part of the frame recall.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really appreciate ALL the feedback. I was a bit concerned and wanted to hear what you guys had to say and from the sound of it it's probably not what I should buy.

The low mileage, the color and the fact that it looked like a new bike kinda teased me a little bit.

Thanks for bringing me to my senses.

---

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
The fact that it hasn't been ridden much is meaningless. I have always felt that it is an unsubstantiated myth that a vehicle not driven is a reliability concern, within reason of course. My old Magna sat in the garage because it had a dirty carb for 7 years and was never moved from the spot it sat it. It even sat there with the old dirty oil in it. When I finally got the urge to get it out and pull the carbs, it fired right up with only a battery replacement. I ran the bike for another five years before selling it, and the guy who bought it still rides it. The bike is now 26 years old. A close friend of mine sold his Dad's Lincoln Mark III, which had sat in the garage for over 30 years. After a tune-up and about two hours of messing with the carb, the car started right up. It passed every test we did on it.

What has to be factored in is that rubber and plastic age whether the bike is ridden or not. So despite the very low mileage, it is still a 7 year old bike in many respects.

I would not think twice about buying that bike. But I would not pay anywhere near what the dealer is asking for it. I only paid $14,500 for my 02 brand new with zero miles on it. If you really like the bike, start haggling, and be prepared to walk away if they won't sell it for a reasonable price. It can't hurt to try.

BTW, with regards to the frame recall mentioned in an earlier post. There were less than two thousand 2004 bikes that required that the welds be inspected. And it would be illegal for a dealer to sell a motorcycle that had open recalls not performed.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Too high $ !!!

I purchased my 05 Anniversary (updated frame, ECU, etc) 2 years ago with 3069. miles on it for $13,100. Afrer selling off most of the unmounted accessories that came with it, the bike in showroom condition actually cost me just $12,550!!!

I never had a moments problem or issue about the low mileage/"sitting in the garage too long" factor. Find a better deal and then just run it... ride, ride, ride! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Too much money.

For that money, I'd look for an 06 or newer.

Much better sound system. ABS models have heat and navigation.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I purchased a 2001 with 6,495 miles for $12,000 four years ago. It was the best purchase I ever made. These bikes are engineering marvels. If you can determine that the frame recall is not an issue, I would say don't worry about a low mileage older model.

·
Registered
993 Posts
A year ago paid just under $10K for an 04 base model in Flare Red w/ 891, yes 891 miles. Perfect condition, cover, new battery. Issues? Yes! Not enough good weather and time to ride!!!

Miles not an issue w/ that one, price seems a little high...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts