GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not be the right place for this post (Tech Board?) but what i was wondering is this. I went to the International Motorcycle Show in Dallas over the weekend and saw two new 2004 Goldwings both with windshields with nice designed vent systems in them. Is this standard on the 04's? Is this windshield adaptable to my 03? How much would one of these cost or are they available? Looks like it would be real handy here in Texas in the summer. Tex

·
Registered
837 Posts
To answer your first question, yes, the windshield with the vent is standard on the '04's, along with lighted handle bar controls.

Can't say for sure about your other questions. I'm sure someone will be able to though.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Think I read the mounting of the 04 don't fit previous models

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
'04 Windshield with vent

This was discussed at length on the old board. Consensus seemed to be that it was cheaper and more practical to go with one of the aftermarket windshields. IIRC, the windshield from Honda is more expensive to start with, then you have to purchase the vent separately!

John in Vegas

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The windshield should fit OK.

There is a difference, some windshields have 5 mounting holes and the newer ones have only 3 holes. I replaced my original 5 hole windshield with a 3 hole model that I installed a vent into. I did not know that the shields were different at the time. After removing the old the new went on just fine but only used the 3 mounting holes. I was worried that the remaining holes and sliders would rattle but that never happened. From talking to my service manager the '04s use the 3 hole mounting system. As far as we could tell they should work on all the 1800s.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just bought a replacement 04 Titanium Gold Wing for the 02 I crashed. I installed a TULSA on the 04. The mounts fit. I salvaged the vent out of my old TULSA so I did not use the new vent. Tulsa is in process of making a new template to use the OEM windshield vent. Yes the vent is standard as is the lighted handle bar controls. I hope this helps

H

·
0 Posts
Honda vent cost

When the subject of the 2004 vent came up I checked the price from Honda and it was in the $200+ range if I remember correctly. That killed any interest in people buyiung it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I think Hal means the entire windshield w/ vent was $200+. At least, that's what I hope he meant. Honda sent a bulletin out describing the new shield and the fact that it fits all previous GL1800 models. You simply don't use the two unnecessary mount points.

Stu

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
I think Hal means the entire windshield w/ vent was $200+. At least, that's what I hope he meant.
Nope, that was just for the vent! :shock: I couldn't believe it when he told me. :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have an 04 winshield on my 02, works great, has the 3 mounting holes rather than 5 on the 02, no rattles, really like the added air, even strains grasshoppers.
:yw1:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Black Wing, I cut the hole for my vent with a dremmel tool. Piece of cake, just take your time. Do not make the hole too low or the windshield will not go all the way down!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mr. EdHatter? Question Please.

You said that you have a 04 windshield on your 02. Where did you get it and how much? I want one bad. Did it come with the vent already installed? Thanks, Tex

H

·
0 Posts
Update on pricing on vent and windshield

It looks like Honda adjusted the prices on the 2004 vent and windshield since the last time I checked.

Here is the update from the Honda computer with the current prices for each piece:

H/C PART NUMBER QTY PC QTY PC QTY STAT ETA SUG RTL
7528201 64100-MCA-A20 1 70 228.08
WINDSCREEN
7528219 64150-MCA-A20 1 70 10.11
GRILLE
7528227 64170-MCA-A20 1 70 21.13
VISOR, FRESH AIR
1213099 90167-SA0-980 1 40 2.92
NUT (5MM)
4057360 90504-964-000 1 70 1.07
WASHER, THRUST (5MM)
7528235 64205-MCA-A20 1 80 0.44
GROMMET
5365333 90118-MBB-000 1 70 2.18
BOLT, SPECIAL (5X16)

We will sell the windshield for $194.95 and the complete vent assembly for $33.95 with free shipping.

These items will be listed on our GL1800 at www.hondadirectlineusa.com online store later today.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I really liked the air from the windshield vent on my 1500, the downside was the bug guts coming thru it and mostly going into your face, they were also difficult to clean around, they get very dirty internally (bug guts), but you do get the sign of the happy motorcyclist, bugs on your teeth! :D

The Baker Built Mirror Wings on my 1800 take care of the ventilation and don't have as many problems as the windshield vent.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another possibility is using a shield like Cee Bailey's which has the vent molded in. It allows air to flow in and up the back side of the shield changing the air envelope, without having it come directly in your face.

Richard

·
Registered
85 Posts
vented windshield

Hi TexMike,
I got mine from a friend. You may try the classified for someone that bought a Cee Bailey or WindBender.
Ed :yw1:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts