GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered from Hondadirectline a spoiler for my GL 1800. Unfortunately I did not get a template in the box with the spoiler. I've heard from others that maybe it's not needed? Also, I have a Back Off Brake light modulator. I see that Electrical Connection sells a harness for the spoiler light to make the spoiler light a running light http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses /hrns_gl18spoiler.htm. Although this is made for Kisan Pathblazer taillight modulator (model 200GW), wondering if anyone has used it with the back off modulator. Any help greatly appreciated including pictures and diagrams! Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just installed the Hondaline Spoiler light on my 05' If you remove the trunk inner liner, you'll find five (5) small indentations on the inner side of the lid, 3 on the right and 2 on the left!

The extra hole on the right if for the wire harness from the spoiler. You'll need the running light harness from EC if you want the spoiler to function as a running and brake light.

The 200 is not the modulator you'll want though! Ask me how I know!!!!

You'll want the 24 LED-D. It is specifically designed for the running/brake light function on the spoiler!!

Hardest part is getting the right drill size. Start out with a small, SHARP drill bit and work your way up!

Both are pretty easy to install!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I can't remember, but, is the 3 holes on the right, or the left, when standing behind the bike ?

Maybe HAL could send/fax you the template....

Also, where could I find this:

You'll want the 24 LED-D..............

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
spoiler

The three holes are on the left if your siting on bike.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I've installed a few of these spoilers now and have learned (a) start the hole with a center punch to help reduce bit walking, (b) as stated above, use only a sharp bit, and (c) start with a small bit and work your way up.

Note: the plastic is so soft that the use of a drill is not really necessary...just hold and turn the bit by hand. This method makes for a cleaner and more rounded hole.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spoiler

The 200 is not the modulator you'll want though! Ask me how I know!!!!

What is the 200? Is this the model number of the signal dynamics back off unit, spoiler? What?

You'll want the 24 LED-D. It is specifically designed for the running/brake light function on the spoiler!!

Where Can I get the 24 LED-D? Who sells this?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I installed the Hondaline spoiler from Hal and the BackOff XP brake light signal module from Signal Dynamics on my 06 GoldWing this past week. The spoiler went on very easily using the mold marks on the bottom side of the trunk lid. The BackOff XP was also simple to install by using a couple of 'bullet' type connectors that plug in between the bike & spoiler wiring. If I were to do it again I would not waste my time trying to fasten the BackOff unit inside the trunk hump but rather mount it under the seat and run the wires along side of one of the bike's harness that are aready there. You only need to run 2 wires to the inside of the trunk and by using the 'bullet' connectors at both ends you can change the modes of operation or restore it to normal from under the seat. Just be sure to insulate the unused mode wire. All in all it looks good & works great !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts