GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks...
Been lurking around for a long time but only joined a week or so ago. You guys already have me hooked :) I thought it's time to do something about that. I would like to purchase a 2004 FLare Red or 2005 Yellow Goldwing....thanks to you guys here on the forum I might be comfortable with something even older, but 04'-05 seems like a good place to start....thinking at the moment with 3 kids in college these would fit my budget best. Kind of like to get into one with at or below 50-60,000 miles. A nice clean well maintained bike is a must.

Located in the extreme NW corner of IL, pretty close to Dubuque Iowa....Cash buyer if that matters....on my way to make sure my email is in my profile....Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Here’s your chance boys, sell...sell...sell. I’m keeping mine for now. MTJ58, welcome to the forum. You’ll be riding in no time, i bet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you GLblinded....have a feeling you're right. Already talking with a gentleman about an 04' Flare Red Wing...(he found a craigslist ad I posted) think I like the flare red better than yellow so I adjusted my original post, both gorgeous bikes!....

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If I was actively in the market (and I might be, as always browse CL) for that general year category I would look mainly for a 2006 (or newer) as there were many upgrades. Some things like the frame are big improvements and better cooling fans/radiators as well as cosmeticly "improved" button lighting and dash features.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you jettawreck, I always appreciate great advice, can't always follow it, but I truly do appreciate it. The extra cooling capacity would be a big thing for some, although for me, I'm 99% plus country or state road driving.* I hop on a bike to get away from civilization :) Part of the challenge of a great ride for me is how many country miles I can drive without stopping! But your point is well taken, I've done enough research to know you're 100% right.

Two goals for me at the moment. 3 kids in college and I won't allow myself to buy a bike I can't afford. If I can't pay cash I won't buy. Pretty certain that puts me in the range I'm in, and who knows, I might get a jump on the next bike and save a few bucks on this purchase. Course if I run into a 2006 or newer for the same money as an earlier bike I'm not going to ignore it. Anyway, that's my first rule and a few midwest colleges have more control over my budget at the moment than I do. That being said, if I buy something older now and enjoy this bike half as much as I think I will, I'll be looking to purchase brand new in approx 3 years, possibly a bit longer, and later if I'm smart about it, I might even be able to keep whatever I purchase now.*I am on the trail of one very gorgeous bike. Will be making the trip to look at it no later than Tuesday.

Thank you again jettawreck...looking forward to participating on the forum much more as time goes on....

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yep, understand. Hence why I have an '01- for now, at least, and didn't keep the ST1300 (as much as I would have liked to) when a good unsolicited offer came along.
I'm very happy with the current '01 after some defarkelizing, but to be honest, the slight possibility of frame issues bother me some since I plan to/have done some trailer towing.
Post up some pics when you find the right one!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, understand. Hence why I have an '01- for now, at least, and didn't keep the ST1300 (as much as I would have liked to) when a good unsolicited offer came along.
I'm very happy with the current '01 after some defarkelizing, but to be honest, the slight possibility of frame issues bother me some since I plan to/have done some trailer towing.
Post up some pics when you find the right one!
I most definitely will. My last Honda was when I was 20 years old, close to 40 years ago now. I'm really looking forward to the Goldwing experience...I'll just take the rest as it comes my way...I found a great Goldwing forum where folks are really helpful...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Take a look on the search tempest site it will search out as far as you would like to travel to pick a bike up.
Not for sale....but I have a 05 GL1800 I purchased around 4 yrs ago with 12k miles, I’m currently at 50k trouble free miles with all the normal maintenance......knock
on wood.
I’ve added a car tire, new front suspension springs, MOP, seat and risers for comfort.
I would be comfortable traveling from coast to coast on it right now..
If something were to happen to this one, I would certainly purchase a 05 again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1potter1, I sure appreciate that, what a great site that is. I've used something similar in the past called zoomthelist.com, quite similar but looks like a person gets better results from yours...

I'm not replying to "bump" this ad, I wanted to post that I did find my dream bike....GLblinded was right, it happened in no time at all....if you'd of told me just 3 days ago I'd be a GoldWing owner this quick I'd of never believed you! When I posted my ad I had just came home from a disappointing day looking at 4-5 bikes at dealers. I ended up buying from a very nice gentleman in a private deal though, low mileage and near mint 04' for a very fair price. I didn't mean to keep dragging this thread to the top so much, I'll post a couple photo's in the proper place tomorrow...Thank you everyone, especially the powers that be, really looking forward to participating more here on the forum.
Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts