GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Honda Models
Something Old, Something New and Something Different!
By John Burn

Torrance, California, January 6, 2003 -- Sorry for the false alarm, ladies and gentlemen. Of the "eight upgraded models," only one is a sportbike, and it is the CBR600RR (first introduced in 2003, to be sold alongside the existing CBR600F4i. The Valkyrie Rune, which is a sportbike if big cruisers are your sport is still online for introduction in December 2003. Dirtbike-wise, there's the updated four-stroke CR250R, and the CR250X--which is just like it but with a starter button. The new 50cc four-stroke scooter, the Ruckus, is being dropped as well as some ATVs and the turbocharged watercraft due to poor sales. (More due to liability problems with the turbocharged watercraft).

The CBR1100XX, RC51, Super Hawk, CBR954RR, 919, and Interceptor are all back unchanged again but for new colors. We feel a little shortchanged. We are unbelievably spoiled. But there is on big surprise for you long distance riding fans out there.

Goldwing GL2000 and GL2000A

We have heard rumors of an “Automatic” transmission Goldwing many months ago, but thought it was just that, A Rumor!

We are here to report that the 2005 Honda Goldwing “Automatic” is a reality.

It will offered as a separate model from the “standard” 2005 Goldwing (Model number GL2000). When ordering you “HondaMatic” You will need to be quick, as there will less than 1 vehicle available per dealer here in the United States, (Available December 2004). Exporting of the GL2000A is not planned at this time.

The 145-horsepower 6-cylinder 2.0 liter adds a new dimension of power to the Goldwing GL2000 and GL2000A.

The flat-6 is a CARB-certified Ultra-Low-Emission Vehicle (ULEV). It is among the cleanest gasoline-powered motor vehicle in the world, (Motorcycles and Automobiles). The engine features variable valve timing and lift electronic control (VTEC®) technology. VTEC enables the engine to benefit from two distinct sets of valve timing and lift specifications to optimize both low-rpm torque and high-rpm horsepower. This technology is taken directly from Honda’s Motor Car division.

The Big news, Honda first fully automatic transmission for a production motorcycle.

The transmission owes most of its roots to the indestructible Honda Civic Automobile. It features a “grade-logic” automatic 4 speed transmission with a active, electronically controlled linear solenoid for the automatic transmission's lockup torque converter improving fuel economy by 3 percent over the standard transmission GL2000 and results in smooth operation.

Honda has elected to eliminate the electrical reverse and has gone with a rev-limited reverse built into the automatic transmission. Engagement is only possible from a standstill via the foot operated transmission control lever while depressing a button on the left handlebar. All the usually “automotive” drive selections are available, Park, Reverse, D4, D3, D2 and D1. The motorcycle can be ridden almost like a manual transmission by selecting each gear manually or you can just leave it in D4 and let Honda do the shifting for you. We can’t wait to give this transmission a workout in the local mountains.

The manual Five-speed transmission is a rehash of the current Five-speed with a little taller 4th and 5th gear for greater cruising comfort.

The automatic will come standard with Honda’s Linked Braking System and ABS. Both the Clutch lever and the front Brake Lever have been eliminated.

Also “new” is the 10.6-gallon fuel cell. The front cowling plastic has been reworked quite a bit to accommodate the re-engineered cooling system for 2005. At first glance the change is very hard to see. Pictures to follow as soon as Honda releases them. (No pictures were allowed at the press conference).

Options

Honda will continue with the usual line of options; CB Radio and 6-disk CD changer. New for 2005 will be a removable 40-gb MP3 player and a DVD based GPS system that integrates with the existing controls and displays on the Goldwing. A new larger color LCD display panel is also standard on the GL2000. Sorry folks, still no plans for a SE model.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Clicking the above link will send your email address to them unless you have the proper privacy protection on your computer. FYI :idea:

·
Registered
816 Posts
What the heck is this all about?

I take it that this is a sham. What's the deal on the link?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
HMMMMMMM. If this turns out to be true I wonder how many will jump on the "GL2000" band wagon right away. What would become of the GL1800riders.com message boards as the current model loses popularity to the "Latest and greatest". Would the resale value of GL1800s with there known history of OH and frame problems drop like a manual typewriter. I'm thinking this thing would be "Pricey" ( I used the "P" word) with all the upgrades even without the automatic. 145 HP at the crank would put about 123-125HP at the rear wheel with the 15% parasitic losses of a shaft drive and greater loss through an automatic. It would be nice if we could confirm this story. Did anyone notice the 200mm wide rear tire and the 140mm wide front tire? 20mm and 10mm wider respectively. The weight however if correct is only slightly up around 10 lbs. This whole thing should make for some interesting discussion.

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
Jama said:
Clicking the above link will send your email address to them unless you have the proper privacy protection on your computer. FYI :idea:
I don't know who this guy is but it is his first post and if that link is just some way to harvest email accounts then it needed to go. I removed it just in case. I did a search on everything I could on this and came up with a blank...no not a Ray Blank ;) I guess we'll wait and see. Sounds good to me but it would be much more believable if one of our regular members posted it or I could find something to back it up on the web.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I am assuming though that I must fly the BS flag.

G

·
0 Posts
I see no link.
I see a dateline of Januray 2003.
Google can find no mention of this.
The date is not 4/1, what's going on?

===

Ok I see we're all typing at the same time.
Yeah it's BS, now back to your regularly scheduled, and still awesome, GL1800.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It's something to think about and could be very feasable. According to all of the media reports, many "big iron" motorcycle manufacturers are all vying to break the 2000cc barrier. Triumph will be unleashing their monster this spring. Kawasaki has the 2000cc Vulcan, and who knows what else is coming in the future from the other manufacturers.

I do notice that whenever I have my top shelter off, you can see mfg. stampings in the fairing panels. The bars (if I remember correctly) start at 2000 and go to 2005 and have a punch mark when the bike was manufactured, so maybe something is coming down the pike.

I'm sure Honda has their spys out and about keeping an eye on the competition, so presumably we could see something within the next year or so if Honda wants to stay competitive.

·
Vendor
21,892 Posts
Rumor or Truth??

I can't confirm this either, but everything printed in the post seems to be pretty much on target and is all very plausible. I wouldn't be a bit suprised to find out that this is indeed true.

Although one source I have has already told me that there are NO changes to the 2005 model, (including the frame). Which by the way, goes into PRODUCTION in April, (only two months away).

If this rumor is true I suspect we will be able to substantiate it pretty soon.

Can someone send me the link that was removed in a Private Message? I would like to see it.

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
I didn't save the link and I didn't click on it. This is why it was removed. I don't think you want to go there either.
I'm using trend Micro PC-Cillin 2004, and the link on our board triggered my privacy protection and announced an attempt to send my email address and a password that it found somewhere in my computer. It blocked it of course. Good that you took the link off.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
No, I think the next will be at least a 2300cc.

And, it would be really nice to horizontally
oppose in a different direction or do an in-
line configuration. My feet need room! Get
that engine block out of the way already. :D

Automatic ? That is for the Silverwing or the Suzuki
Burgman or a Trike Converstion.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Automatic?

They have got to be kidding! After reading about the majority of "Techs" not being able to work on the Wing as it is, what would happen if a automatic was thrown in the mix? I think I would wait about 5 yrs to give Honda, the dealers and techs to try to get it straight. :lol:

·
GL1800Riders Founder
1,813 Posts
My Boss has an auto and it is very easy to work on and I must say that I enjoy not shifting. Mine is a two speed so I do have to shift at about 120 mph ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
120mph? :bow: ! :shock:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
For a copy/paste job, there are an awful lot of typo's in this text. This would never make it thru a proof-reader for any valid publication.

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Well, John Burns is a columnist for a MC Rag. Don't remember which one either Cycle World or Motorcyclist. He was with one went with the other and then back to the first.

I recall that when the first 1800 came out, both magazines did articles on it. At that time there had been talk of doing a 2000 machine, indeed if I recall correctly there was a concept bike of that displacement and there had been rumors flying prior to the 1800's intro that the next one would be the 2000 but the 1800 was instead produced. Personally I feel the article is bogus but the concept isn't.

·
Registered
287 Posts
To whom it concerns,

I can tell you that there are no plans to change the 1800 in its present shape and size for at least another ten (10) years, with the exception of a few alterations that need to be corrected and some extra's ie. CD player, bits of chrome, extra lighting, etc, etc, and thats from a very reliable source. Now that I have put all your minds at ease, get out on your wings and enjoy the best motorcycle that Honda has ever built. Ride Safe. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry folks... I am the "scott" that posted the orginal story. It was sent to me by a good friend/riding buddy at work who I trust, although I do not know where he got it.

I have owned a Blk GL1800 n/ABS since December 2000. I bought one of the first ones in Denver from Fay Meyers and while I have had many, if not all, of the early production problems, (speedo, CD, CB, OH/ECM, kill switch, O2 sensors, rear tire), all have been fixed without incident and I now have 20k miles on it as of yesterday's 80 mile "chores" outing....really, all I needed to do was run to Home Depot :)

I have been on this and the MSN board for 2+years, although with the changes to new providers had lost all of my user names and passwords to a less than 100% memory (guess I should lay off the Crown a little bit!)

I love the bike for its combination of performance, comfort and (while large) style. The riding buddy I mentioned above has been struggling to convince himself that he can really move "up" into a GL1800 (out of the two sucessive K1200LTs and a current CL1200 BMWs he's had/has) and be happy. We were out with a demo bike from RPM yesterday and if they had a Silver w/ABS I think he would have rode home with it. There is really no comparison IMHO!

I love this site, although perger the old style (oh well, times change).

Sorry for any issues any hidden code in the link may have caused. I'm surprised that the virus protection at the office didn't catch it.

Ride Safe
Scott

·
Registered
325 Posts
RE: '07 (Bumper aint kidding)

Just released from NASA/Hawnda (Na-Hawnda) Motors Corporation:

The new 2007 model will have super new features replied Donald Imafibber (aka The Bumpa). THe super charged nuclear reactor will enhance the new model to supersonic speeds. Latest testing shows that opening saddlebags has a flight advantage, thus replacing the recently retired Concorde Super Sonic Transatlantic air liner. We here at NA-Hawnda are considering a last minute change, possible bending of front forks to capture the concorde look.

We have added the 1.3 Jigawatt stereo system. The secret of this system is to enhance both the Propulsion and braking system of the new model. Simply apply more front speaker volume to apply a boost in horse power (Similiar to NOS) and if a cager pulls in front of you apply max vol to rear speakers......... be prepared to equalize... as this could cause damage to other riders behind you.

We decided against the wide tires, as they increased flight drag. We have opted to use the new state quarters in lieu of Done lopp, he he.
the most impressive feature about this design is that wheel replacement cost is approximately .50cents plus labor.

Cargo problems are solved.... never again will you have to surf the web for trailer how to instructions, nor will you need to purchase the hitch kit, wiring harness, etc, etc, etc. Our new model comes standard 5th wheel ready. This should be a enormous sales incentive in the farming community.

Our versatile 2007 model will definitely be a useful tool for all the worlds citizens. We are shipping the first model to Mars. "we have got to speed up that dang rover" replied Marco Idaliar. The next few hundered models will be sent to our soldiers to use in psychology tactics against all enemies of freedom. (using optional lie detector, gamma ray inducer and magneto weapon launcher)

:lol: Brian :lol:

Dont Sue Me, if you do anyways.... get enough for both of us. 8)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts