GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
My 02 hasn't had any recalls performed either. It did need the frame inspection, but it passed.

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you purchased the Dark Grey 05, you would have the C.E.A. version.
This is the fastest of the 05's. Unfortunately ,Honda did not advertise this , and only by purchasing the Dark Grey were you able to get C.E.A. Makes me shiver just to think how lucky I am to have one.
See you in the mirrors. :yes:

DEPUTY DAWG :cop2:
O5 DARK GREY C.E.A.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I thought there was a recall because of a wrong phone number in the owners manual.

·
Registered
206 Posts
leaddog11 said:
The 2005 Silver ABS model has been recalled. For some reason it is the fastest of all of them and Honda wants to find out why! (heheheheh)
That's why they recalled mine. I was wondering. :D

Carl

·
Registered
761 Posts
LarryM said:
My 02 hasn't had any recalls performed either. It did need the frame inspection, but it passed.
For what it's worth there have been a number of Service Bullitins/Recalls that involved th 2002 model year. Check here to see if you need to get anything done. http://www.ridersrally.com/sb/sb.htm SB7 - SB17 all include the 2002 model year.

·
Registered
244 Posts
flper67 Do you work for Harley ? :twisted: recall on a 1800 05 06 07 wing. HA I laugh. You wish. GO Run on home. Leave us now.

Can you believe the gual of that guy. ( There was no recalls right ? Tell me there was no recalls guys. Not the wing). :lol:

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
bangladave said:
LarryM said:
For what it's worth there have been a number of Service Bullitins/Recalls that involved th 2002 model year. Check here to see if you need to get anything done. http://www.ridersrally.com/sb/sb.htm SB7 - SB17 all include the 2002 model year.
The original post asked about recalls, not service bulletins, which are two totally different animals. The recalls for 2002 were only for certain VIN numbers. Mine did not fall under any of them.

Service bulletins in most cases merely educate the techician how to proceed if he see a particular problem. Except for the ECM bulletin which was a special situation, you can't just go into your dealer and tell him you want all the bulletins performed in most cases. They are normally intended as a service aid to the dealer and not intended to be public knowledge. Consider it fortunate that dealers give out this information freely, because with most vehicles you have to pay for it.

My bike has not had any of the problems that were in those bulletins, so there was no reason to take the bike in. I did have the ECM bulletin done even though I didn't have an overheating problem. I just wanted the free extra two year warranty on the engine. Seemed like a no brainer. Plus, I have the old ECM in case I ever need it.

The funny part it, the few problems I did have weren't addressed by any bulletins. I had the trunk lid replaced due to the rubbing problem, the handlebar cables re-routed because they were binding at full lock, and the front tire replaced due to bad cupping. (original Bridgestone) That was about all. The bike has been pretty much bullet proof for 4 years and 45,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
LarryM said:
... I had the trunk lid replaced due to the rubbing problem...
Larry,
Can you elaborate on the "rubbing problem"? ...
I have an '07 and can see where the little "nubs" around the edge of the trunk lid have already rubbed the paint off (200 miles) ...

Is there some fix or service bulletin about that?

thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
Dennis,
That is the same problem that most people including myself have. I have yet to see a Wing where it wasn't badly worn in that area. There isn't a service bulletin out about it and there really is no "factory fix". Honda will generally do a one time replacement though.

Since it is hidden, it is really more of an annoyance than anything else, and it is a bit aggravating when the bike is new because you are doing your best to keep the bike looking new as long as possible.

There is a wealth of information on this message board for how to fix it yourself to keep it from getting worse. Do a search.The one that worked for me was to make some rubber bumpers and screw them into the trunk lip. I also added some teflon tape to the inside of the lid.

Honda won't fix the problem itself for you because they don't have a fix, so you will have to address it yourself. Don't wait too long either because the tabs will wear completely down and start wearing directly on the sides of the trunk and lid.

Of all the things that I read about people complaining about, this is the one that bothers me. Apparently Honda still hasn't done anything to fix the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
DEPUTY DAWG

I know I'm going to regret asking this but what is the C.E.A. version?

750valk

·
Registered
820 Posts
Don't feel bad I wanted to ask the same thing but thought I would let someone else go first. I'll maybe get sucked in further. I will take a guess it has something to do with California emissions.

·
Registered
818 Posts
C.E.A. Version 05

Honda produced a few of these in other colors besides Dark Grey. Only one way to know if you have one.

Start from a stopped position on a good stretch of asphalt.

Shift into 1st gear and pour on the power.

Go through all gears, bumping the Rev-Limiter each time.

When shifting into 5th gear, check to see if you have any additional material in your shorts.

If you do, then you have the C.E.A. version.

CAUTION::: May want to stop before checking the shorts(DQ<Mickey-D's).

C_ olon
E_ vacuating
A_ cceleration

I check mine on a frequent basis to see if it is still engaged. Don't believe you have to reset like the ECM.

Have fun and ride safe.

DEPUTY DAWG :cop2:
05 DARK GREY C.E.A.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I knew I was asking a question that the answer would be more information than I relly needed to know :shock: LOL
Thank for the info

750valk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts