GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a strange problem and wonder if anyone else has experanced this. On cold start everything is fine. I can ride for about 1 hour, pull over to get a drink and/or rest, get back on bike, start it up and it will idle rough, not want to take fuel. When you rev it, it will rev then RPM will fall to almost 0, motor will almost quit and a few times it has quit. If it don't quit it will return to a below normal idle. I can ride it for just a mile or so and it will act alright, idle normal, rev and then return to a normal idle. It will idle normal at normal idle RPM. It does not do it everytime but is getting worse. I tried changing the plugs, cleaning the airfilter. No help. The bike has around 28,000 miles and is a 2005 model. Just wondering if anyone has experanced this problem or has any insight on what the cause could be.
By the way the F1 light does not indicate a problem. It comes on with the key for about 3 seconds and goes out like normal. Have owned the bike sense new and has had better than normal service.
Any advice?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,473 Posts
Your engine coolant temp sensor, ECT is giving the ECM the wrong info. It won't cause the ECM to throw the light on because it's still in the range for normal operation. It's telling the ECM that the engine is cold and it's not, so the ECM is running the engine in choke mode and making the mixture way too rich like when the engine actually is cold. You can confirm this rich condition by reving it when it's running bad and watching the exhaust for black smoke. Your fuel mileage should be low as well. Since this is intermittent, it could be a bad connection between the ECT and the ECM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts