GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
II have always had a soft spot for the Rocket III, and I could get a very decent deal on a 2005 with very low miles.
I would like to hear what you guys think, pros and cons and whatever else you'd like to throw in. I am all ears.
I need some opinions, real opinions from people that own or have owned the bike.
How does it compare to the Wing? Has anyone replaced the Wing with a Rocket III?
Look forward to reading some opinions on the subject.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hi, I don't own one but took a Roadster for a 60 mile or so test ride. I loved it, the looks, the sound and oh lordy the power is addictive, but, if your coming from a gl1800 I would soon be regretting trading a wing for one, lack of wind protection is the first thing, I rode one on a cool day in March and after that short run was missing the warmth of the Wing. Riding position too felt awkward feet further forward felt strange, certainly would not fancy an all day ride in that position and if its raining forget it.
I still like the idea of the bike, probably the attitude more than anything, however if I were serious about buying one personally I would go for the Rocket Touring, less power (on paper) but gobs of torque and better handling too thanks to the 180 rear tyre (240 on the classic and roadster) plus it has some of the comfort of the gl1800.
Try before you buy is probably your best bet, and look for an ABS model, its hell of a lot of bike to stop, especially in the wet.
Good luck. :)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Get it! I want to read your comparison. :doorag: Cruise on, dude.

·
Registered
332 Posts
a friend has one and he let me ride it. The power is something to behold. I liked it. He just took it on the Iron Butt run. Down side: Gas Milage is about 30-32 mpg and that fat rear tire lasts about 5000 with all that torque. He went CT and it works well for him. I thought about one before I bought the wing but the longivity of the wings engine and my riding style put me on the wing. If the price is right , go for it!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
http://www.triumphrat.net/ should answer most of your questions.

I also took one for a ride and felt extremely comfortable on it, especially for my long legs. Unless your passenger is the size of a leprechaun, it is quite uncomfortable for them.

I agree with the lack of wind protection, but the summer screen option is a good idea. Nothing to protect your lower legs.

I loved my 2001 Triumph Thunderbird 900cc, but it was only a stepping stone for my current 1800.

I say get it as a stable mate for your big boy rider. The R3 would be for your younger you.

- David

·
Registered
78 Posts
Awesome Bike.

I use to own a 2005 Rocket III and loved it. The power and looks of the bike are the main draw. The only drawback is, that all the accessories I added to it was more or less making it more like a Goldwing. Windshield, saddlebags trying to get some kinda music to listen to. So I kept it about 5 years and traded it for my 2010 wing. If you are going to add it to your stable, I say get it. If you are going to replace a wing, I think you will be disappointed by the lack of creature comforts.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I did extensive internet research on the Rocket III bikes, as I was lusting for one. I test rode all the models on 2 different occasions from the Triumph demo truck, and also took an extended test ride on a Rocket III Classic Tour (not the "Touring") which essentially is a base model (original power) with windshield and soft bags added on. The engine is super impressive, except for the louder (than Goldwing) whiring that is a constant characteristic. Combined with great handling (similar to the Wing), I really liked it and almost purchased it.

What turned me to the GL1800 was the reliability factor and touring issues. There was little written to go on as-far-as long term mileage was concerned on the Rocket, except for multiple reports of rear-end and engine bearing failures in the early models. Triumph seemingly covered everything under warrenty and even gave some buyers new engines, but I was a little concerned, as I planned to keep the bike for many years/200k minimum. Of course, the Wing has a bullet-proof high mileage reputation. Also, for multiple days in the saddle, the GL1800's protective fairing and (more) touring seat trumped the Rocket. Depends on what your useage will be.

At 70k so far, I love my Wing and no major issues... mainly just those annoying bar switches (stuck) and minor plastic pieces, etc.

If I came across the Rocket at a great price with low mileage, I'd be tempted... the horsepower and torque is intoxicating! As an only bike for 500 mile days as the deciding factor, I chose the GL1800.

Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks to the ones that replied. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
I couldn't justify having two bikes parked in the garage. I couldn't do that since I don't really ride that much anymore. I still try to go on a couple of long rides every year, and I ride around town whenever the temperature is not extremely hot or if it's not raining.
My main concern with the Rocket is the problem with erratic idling and the final drive oil leak. Right in this moment I think that I will be better off getting away from even thinking about buying it, but for a reason or another I can't convince myself to do so. There's something that makes me want this bike. I go through this cycle every six months to a year, and it doesn't matter what bike I'm riding. I always think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I test rode the touring model 2013, and was quite disappointed at the de-tuned power, engine heat, and sluggish handling. Though it was still breaking in, the Goldwing or my VTX, which I rode shortly after, would have walked all over it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Funny you brought this thread up....been looking at getting a Rocket 3 for a bike to go down south to my folks place. Thinking they might be a fun bike down there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have an 08 Wing and just got a 13 R3T last Nov. Love them both but they are very different bikes.
I like how the Rocket handles, especially the front end-- rail straight and planted.
The R3T is also solid-- really no rattles or squeaks. I would say the bike is visually stunning,
but of course that's subjective.
I had a Speedmaster for 10 years and felt I wanted to try the Rocket.
As far as power and the R3T detune, it can be easily bumped up w/ derestricting.

I have the low summer screen on mine and will be getting the tall Clearview w/ a vent soon:
http://www.clearviewshields.com/motorcycle-windshield/triumph/rocket-iii-touring-shields/

But the GL1800 is much more comfortable. Hands down. I do have trouble myself
w/ the Wing and my neck. I don't on the Rocket.

I'll be getting out more as the weather is finally warming up.
Go over to the R3Riders group and cruise around:
http://www.r3owners.net/threads/r3t-derestricting.16023/

cat
IMG_1760.jpg

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Owned an 06 and put on 13,000 miles. Got a little tingly on the vibes around 80 mph, but power/torque, the thing was a total beast but handled really great for a big bike. Put on a Corbin bags, seat, fairing and the bike looked great! Nothing else like it. Buy one if you can. Barry

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have an 08 Wing and just got a 13 R3T last Nov. Love them both but they are very different bikes.
I like how the Rocket handles, especially the front end-- rail straight and planted.
The R3T is also solid-- really no rattles or squeaks. I would say the bike is visually stunning,
but of course that's subjective.
I had a Speedmaster for 10 years and felt I wanted to try the Rocket.
As far as power and the R3T detune, it can be easily bumped up w/ derestricting.

I have the low summer screen on mine and will be getting the tall Clearview w/ a vent soon:
http://www.clearviewshields.com/motorcycle-windshield/triumph/rocket-iii-touring-shields/

But the GL1800 is much more comfortable. Hands down. I do have trouble myself
w/ the Wing and my neck. I don't on the Rocket.

I'll be getting out more as the weather is finally warming up.
Go over to the R3Riders group and cruise around:
http://www.r3owners.net/threads/r3t-derestricting.16023/

cat
View attachment 53295
Nice looking bike, if I may say so it fits you perfect, noticed your slightly tip toed sitting on bike, I have 33" inside leg and felt a bit cramped sitting on bike in showroom,
Hope to take a test ride this spring, have to scratch this itch! ;-)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the links Cat! Sounds pretty easy to get a lot of the power back to the Tourer.

On a side note, your stance on that Rocket looks about like mine! My heels won't quite touch the ground.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Feed back on RT3

My oldest son has had a Rocket III for 3 summers now. He like the power and performance, all though now that he has a family it sort of cuts down on riding time.
I have seen on the Vetter page where a guy took a Vetter Liberator fairing and modified it slightly to fit the RT3 and now he has a very awesome touring machine.
If I had one that would be my plan. I have driven the bike pulling his AlumaLite trailer loaded with all his camping stuff and am amazed at the power it has. Other than the gas mileage I think you would be happy with it. It is NOT a Wing. Nothing else out there is in the same class as far as I am concerned. I have owned a GL 1000, GL1100, GL1500 and am soon getting a GL1800. I have ridden other bikes but the Wing is still the top touring bike on the market.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts