GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 1800 with about 85,000 km, or about 52,000 miles. I was driving today and my ABS light started to flash. Shortly after that the radio centre consul display went blank, the radio stopped working. Also some other lights on the dash started to flash like the cruise light another light started to dim. When I pulled over to the side of the road, the battery would not start the bike again. It is a new battery this year.

So my question is: with the bike running if the alternator was putting out proper power, the bike should continue to run regardless of the condition of the battery? After the bike was shut down for a bit the battery rejuvenated A little bit and the bike would run and start, but it was definitely low on power, and quit after running for a little bit.

My initial assumption is the alternator is bad. What do others recommend? The Honda service manual says that you have to remove the fuel tank to remove the alternator. Is this correct, or is it possible to remove the alternator without digging into the bike that much?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
It is the alternator same thing happened to me while out on the road. I road till the engine quit. Replace with an OEM alternator you get what you pay for. There is a special tool and if you can find someone with that expertise do it . Mine went out at 145,000 miles on my 08

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
So my question is: with the bike running if the alternator was putting out proper power, the bike should continue to run regardless of the condition of the battery? After the bike was shut down for a bit the battery rejuvenated A little bit and the bike would run and start, but it was definitely low on power, and quit after running for a little bit.

My initial assumption is the alternator is bad. What do others recommend? The Honda service manual says that you have to remove the fuel tank to remove the alternator. Is this correct, or is it possible to remove the alternator without digging into the bike that much?
A generator has natural magnets in it, and any winding passing through a magnetic field generates voltage. An alternator has no natural magnetic field. Its magnetic field is first produce by battery voltage, then a windings pass through the field made by the battery.

To me it sounds like you have an alternator going bad. However, proper diagnosis is to test the battery first and make sure the cables are clean and tight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: voltage at the slightly drained battery was 11.6 v
Battery voltage at the alternator was the same - 11.6 v

When the bike was started voltage at the alternator was 10.7 and slightly decreasing as the bike ran.

My buddy’s wing was battery voltage at the alternator, and after starting voltage at the alternator was 14.7 V

I think the alternator is the problem. Is it worth troubleshooting to see if something internal can be replaced, or should I just order a new one? Thoughts?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,371 Posts
Update: voltage at the slightly drained battery was 11.6 v
Battery voltage at the alternator was the same - 11.6 v

When the bike was started voltage at the alternator was 10.7 and slightly decreasing as the bike ran.

My buddy’s wing was battery voltage at the alternator, and after starting voltage at the alternator was 14.7 V

I think the alternator is the problem. Is it worth troubleshooting to see if something internal can be replaced, or should I just order a new one? Thoughts?
Welcome to the board. Check the cruise control fuse, it provides power for the regulator and if it blows, you get no charge out of the alternator. A quick test is to turn on the key and the cruise system switch. If the fuse is good, the orange “cruise” will be lit on the dash. If the light and fuse are good, then you have a bad alternator. Other than replacing a worn out or sticking brush, A new OEM version will be your best bet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts