GL1800Riders Forums banner

The 06 and newer temp gauge provides a good indication the bike is getting too hot.

• NO ..Mine works like Dennis's, I've never seen it go above half way, even with the fans running.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES ..Mine works like Larry's, it goes past half and provides a good warning the bike getting hot.

• Neither .. I've seen it past half way once, maybe twice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. a difference of opinion prompts this poll..

I've never seen my temp gauge go past about mid-way.
... it starts out cold, then warms up to the half way point
... but that's it.
Even when the fans come on, it never moves past half way.

I've had one each 06, 07 and 08..
..and the temp gauge works (or worked as it were) the same on all of them).

Larry (as usual) thinks I'm nuts.
Well, I might be, but that has nothing to do with the temperature gauge.
:)

What say ye?... have you seen the temp gauge go past half way
warning you the bike was starting to run hot?

PLEASE don't vote unless your voting about a 2006 or newer.

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
ok.. a difference of opinion prompts this poll..

I've never seen my temp gauge go past about mid-way.
... it starts out cold, then warms up to the half way point
... but that's it.
Even when the fans come on, it never moves past half way.

I've had one each 06, 06 and 08..
..and the temp gauge works (or worked the same on all of them).

Larry (as usual) thinks I'm nuts.
Well, I might be, but that has nothing to do with the temperature gauge.
:)

What say ye?... have you seen the temp gauge go past half way
warning you the bike was starting to run hot?

PLEASE don't vote unless your voting about a 2006 or newer.

Thanks,
Dennis
'08 Dennis (as you know), and nope, never above 1/2 on the gauge under any circumstance.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a 2010 and the temp gauge has shown different temperatures during different situations. When I was doing slow speed maneuvers in a parking lot on a hot day it did go a little above the normal reading but never to a point that gave me reason to be concerned. Generally speaking it does stay just below the mid mark.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Twice....Both times it was while driving around in the mountains, climbing up hills and riding behind slow (<20mph) moving vehicles......both times the temp went up almost to the red......

·
Registered
792 Posts
On my '06, the reading never gets higher than the width of the needle below the mid mark even when the fans come on, regardles of the ambient temp.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please vote your opinions....

thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
507 Posts
The only time in 59,000 miles that I have seen the temp gauge needle above half way was when I climbed Pike's Peak on June 10th of this year. The needle went to the next mark above half way. On another Wing with me, the needle went almost to the red line. It was a 2003 and mine is a 2006. Even going thru Oklahoma with 104 degree temps and stop and go traffic and pulling a trailer, the gauge stayed at the normal position, barely below half way. I also have the origional anti-freeze in the bike. I plan on changing it soon. I have never had to add a drop of anti-freeze either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has it occured that the coolant system is working and the gauge is correct.

My speedometer has not be over 90mph. I guess it is also broken/faulty.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Mines never went to the red, but I have seen it climb when running slow in a traffic jam, but fast enough to turn the fans off.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Try going through a construction area on a 90 degree day where you are moving slow, but too fast for the fans to come on. The needle will go up... ;)

However, I believe it's been covered that the mid-point (normal) on the gauge covers a range of temperature.

·
Banned
226 Posts

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
LOL, you're too funny Dennis. This is till gnawing at you 24 hours later?

Unfortunately, your poll is worthless because you twisted my words. The comment you attribute to me doesn't even make any sense. If you are going to start a thread and use my name, I would appreciate it if you could at least have the decency to accurately describe my comments. What you did here was just flat out rude.

The gauge on my 02 rarely ever moves from just below halfway, unlike the way your silly poll is worded. I have had it move up to one tick higher on numerous occasions, but never higher. But I have also had my bike for 9 years.

For those who are wondering, the discussion that started this is that Dennis claims the temp gauge is nothing more than the equivalent of an idiot light. He says his needle has never moved.

I asked him how he could possibly know the gauge was nothing more than an idiot light if his cooling system has never gotten beyond normal temperatures, which would have enabled him to form his crazy theory. What method is he using to simultaneously monitor the actual coolant temperature? He obviously had no answer to this question.

Now here's a theory for you to chew on. Years ago I constantly warned people that if they didn't quit complaining every time that silly needle budged, Honda was going to get fed up with riders who can't read a gauge, and do away with the temp gauge completely, replacing it with an actual idiot light.

With the number of riders of 06-10 bikes who say their needle never moves, I can't help but wonder if Honda flattened out the curve even further to eliminate the complaints. If that were the case, then yes, it would be about as useful as an idiot light.

Just another reason why the 01-05 bikes are the better bikes. We have useful temp gauges. :lol: (assuming Dennis's theory is correct.)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey Fireplug, How come your rims are stationary in your signature photo? your taking a big chance taking your hand off the wheel like that. Is that your pinky your holding up or your index finger. You may think your fooling everyone here but Your only fool'in yoself!

Hi Paddy,

I'm not sure if you're just teasing me, or if you really think the picture is doctored. It's not. And I really don't know what you mean about my finger... I was on a solo trip and went through the gap in June of 09 and everything for me that day was just clicking. I was warmed up from the morning trip on 28 from Walhalla SC to the gap store. (Still my favorite stretch of road anywhere)

In fact, if you really think it's fake, that makes me think the shot is even better. It's been my desktop picture ever since...

I bought the picture from US129Photos.com. I would assume the wheels look stationary because his camera was just that good. The very large version they sent me actually shows the sparks coming off the right peg.

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=0QAK00II050649&c=&e=

edit: I actually just realized you can see all of the pics he took through that corner with the prev/next buttons on the link. You'll see that my line wasn't so pretty, because I was paying so much attention to him. Stayed well within my lane though..

·
Registered
512 Posts
Down here in the heat i also worried about my temp gauge. Been very hot 95 to 99 everyday. My temp gauge never moves past midway fans constantly running.Once it gets to halfway point stays there. :agree:

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
You guys have to also remember that there is a big difference between the 01-05 and the 06-10 bikes. In 2006, Honda began using much larger radiators. This will undoubtedly allow the engine to run cooler in extreme conditions, whereas with the older bikes, extreme conditions would push the cooling system to its limits. It isn't surprising that the needle on the later bikes moves a lot less than the earlier ones.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts