GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone asked for undercarriage pictures. Hope these are what you wanted.
20210721_093248.jpg
20210721_093131.jpg
I know its dirty, been sitting in a shed for 2 years

·
Registered
512 Posts
Also remembered one of the gas struts doesnt work, was like that when I got it.
I am totally ignorant about the product (and I hear they went out of business in 2020), so please excuse my questions: Is the suspension solid, or does absorb the bumps? Does the trailer have its own electric brakes? Tongue weight? Dry weight? Wheel size? Is hitch/connector assembly off towing bike included? Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just looked at the website, it appears they just sell parts now. As for suspension it is not solid it absorbs bumps without a problem. I pulled it from colorado to missouri without any problems. Tongue weight if I remember right is around 20 lbs. No brakes on the trailer they're not necessary. Dry weight is around 350 lbs. The motorcycle hitch is not imcluded. Will have to have your own hitch. Wheel size is 12 inch.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Man thats nice. What is is like camping in that? My only hesitation to taking a serious look and ride there is I have a F6b. They don’t have reverse. Im afraid I’d get stuck if I chose a wrong spot. But still thinking on it, Im in Oklahoma so not too far. Like the AC. Please if you have the time tell me a little about your experiences with the camper. Does it have any storage room beyond the tent and ac? Like for camping chair and sleeping bag etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never camped in it, very long story there. I've set it up once in the driveway on very hot day and the ac kept it comfy in direct sun. The entire black tub is storage, according to the website there is 25 cubic feet of storage. Takes maybe 10 minutes to set up and take down. Easily done by 1 person. Bed is 6 foot wide by 7 foot long. Room is 5 foot by 6 foot over 6 foot tall. Can get to the storage area with it set up or folded up. Not sure what else to say. Any questions Holler. Dan

·
Registered
408 Posts
Man thats nice. What is is like camping in that? My only hesitation to taking a serious look and ride there is I have a F6b. They don’t have reverse. Im afraid I’d get stuck if I chose a wrong spot. But still thinking on it, Im in Oklahoma so not too far. Like the AC. Please if you have the time tell me a little about your experiences with the camper. Does it have any storage room beyond the tent and ac? Like for camping chair and sleeping bag etc.
Unless you're short-legged and have a hard time pushing your bike back in general, reverse isn't always an option on a regular Goldwing with a trailer. If you get yourself pointed downhill with a trailer and try reverse sometimes it'll say "no thanks" and skip and not reverse the bike anyway. You just kind of have to be smart when pulling a trailer and in the rare case where you forget, you just have to look helpless and as someone to push on the front of your bike or pull the trailer while you're backing up. It usually doesn't take much.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I will say that the Aspen is a much sought after camper for motorcycle tourer. Even with new production no longer happening. I own a 2009 and have used one for thousands of miles. Easy to set up and break down. I did the tent thing for awhile but decided I no longer like sleeping on the ground. They are bare bones but do provide a decent sized bed as well as a nice sized "changing" area that you can keep stuff out of the elements. If rain comes, plenty of room to sit inside and stay dry. Only downside I have run into is you have to be dependant on campground showers and toilets. You would be able to boondock if you prepare for it but campgrounds will usually work out better.

Electric brakes are a personal choice. Long story short but mine originally had them but I never got around to installing a controller. I ended up with new axles that don't have them. And I haven't had any issues where I would have really needed them after traveling many states and different terrain...

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Im afraid I’d get stuck if I chose a wrong spot.
Easy to fix; put side stand down. Turn off bike in gear. Climb off bike. Disconnect the easy to move trailer from the hitch and move it to the right spot. Reattach to bike when necessary.

Reactions: JoeHall and Kenichi

·
Registered
111 Posts
Easy to fix; put side stand down. Turn off bike in gear. Climb off bike. Disconnect the easy to move trailer from the hitch and move it to the right spot. Reattach to bike when necessary.
LOL!! :ROFLMAO: I'm sure AudioChris90 thought of that and chose it not to be desirable before he posted.

glwts DCMRN1959

Reactions: Some Old Dude

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Well I was just thinking in general about a big bike with a trailer and no reverse. Sure there is workarounds. But you guys with reverse don’t realize what a great feature that is. I have no issue waddling back other than I always fear that little piece of gravel. Thanks to all that posted their Aspen camper experiences. Still thinking on this.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have an Aspen classic. Top notch trailer all the way. Especially when it has a new top. You will want to upgrade the "Mattresses" probably. With all the temperpedic type choices then it is wonderful. You won't get wet in a storm when inside either. They pull fine. This one is nicely priced too. I think it was the best MC camper made.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
That is one fine looking trailer.
Wish it was closer to NoDak, my son would scarf that up in a heartbeat.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts