GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you unplug the combination meter? I'm talking about the meters, not the cover.

I removed the 4 bolts. The manual talks about a nut. Can't find a nut to remove. :( My speedo panel comes loose and is free of it's mounting, but I couldn't feel/see how to unplug any of the plugs after I removed the rubber boots.

TIA......

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Fred,

This JUST FOR YOU!!!!!!

It's actually pretty easy. After you slide the "boots" back, there is a tab on the top of the connectors. Push down on the tab and pull back. No nut to remove.

See pictures below.

Bartman

and here's some eye candy to make the job easier. Chelsea and Alisa!

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and pics Bartman! :)

Mine has a plug at the top and the harness has very little slack. I can feel behind it, but can't see squat except the side of the plug. If I can get the top plug out, I think the lower 2 will be easy. Might even be able to see what I'm doing instead of feeling my way around. LOL...

I have the Nav, so the meters are different. I tried to take it off about a week ago. I was going to crank the heck out of the stem bearings just to see if the wobble would go away. I didn't get that far before i gave up and went riding. LOL..

Guess I'll try again when we have a snow day. :wink:

Thanks again....

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dtbmjax - aka Bartman said:
Red said:
Guess I'll try again when we have a snow day.
Wouldn't it be quicker to wait until hell freezes over? :D

Bartman
They both might happen at the same time. LOL....

I will wait until it cools down to fool with it. In 26 years down here I haven't seen snow. So waiting for a snow day might not work. We had a little sleet once, the weather people called it snow! :?

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Red said:
Thanks for the reply and pics Bartman! :)

Mine has a plug at the top and the harness has very little slack. I can feel behind it, but can't see squat except the side of the plug. If I can get the top plug out, I think the lower 2 will be easy. Might even be able to see what I'm doing instead of feeling my way around. LOL...

I have the Nav, so the meters are different. I tried to take it off about a week ago. I was going to crank the heck out of the stem bearings just to see if the wobble would go away. I didn't get that far before i gave up and went riding. LOL..

Guess I'll try again when we have a snow day. :wink:

Thanks again....
Man where were those sweet pics when I had to remove mine to install my risers, oh well. Red, there is very little slack to get the harness plugged or unplugged, it is tough if ya have big mitts. I had to do both strictly by feel. :cus: And I had the scraped up knuckles to prove it. Terry

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pictures

Red:
Thought I would try to send a few pictures to follow up on the e-mail just to see if I can.

Sorry no HOTTIES !!!!

Meter Sockets

Meter Plug & Release Pin

Meter Plugs

Meter Out

Lots OF Room

MERRY CHRISTMAS

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Red & Fred,

Why do you both feel, that just cause something is put together, that you have to take it apart?...>LOL

Good Luck with your project.

Bulldog

By the way, if ya want snow, I will be able to send ya some.

Dawg

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Red,
Not sure if it will work for what you want to do,
But I didn't disconnect mine. I just took the bolts out and
levered it up out of the way. Held it with a bungee cord.
Gave me full access to the fork area.

DC

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Dream Catcher said:
Hey Red,

DC
You can't do that with a Nav unit, it won't pull up anywhere near that high. I guesstimate there's only half that much slack in it's harness. :twisted:

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I wish my 05 was that easy. I tried to pull mine out one day and it was lodged in there pretty good. I want to remove my clear lens and clean inside it. Its full of dust and stuff.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the pics and info guys. Very helpful! :) Now I won't have to take my sidecutters to the wiring harness! :shock: LOL...

Thanks again......

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
[quote="Dream Catcher":e0g5vbza]Hey Red,

DC
You can't do that with a Nav unit, it won't pull up anywhere near that high. I guesstimate there's only half that much slack in it's harness. :twisted: [/quote:e0g5vbza]

Hey Teaser,
Is that a fact? Guess I better head back to the dealer and tell him you said I didn't get the NAV/ABS bike I paid for. :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Ok DC, but it was a fact for me. Excuuuusssssseee me! I should of said: I couldn't do that with my Nav unit. It had nowhere near enough slack in the harness to do something like that.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Teaser 1 said:
Ok DC, but it was a fact for me. Excuuuusssssseee me! I should of said: I couldn't do that with my Nav unit. It had nowhere near enough slack in the harness to do something like that.
I understand. That's how things go sometimes.
That's why I put three :lol: :lol: :lol: in my post.
So you would know I was just funning with you.
DC

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
GL1800GSXR1000 said:
Chelsea!!!!!
YEP! She's a little hottie! 21, 5'2", maybe 110lbs dripping wet, and is WELL qualified to work at Hooters! She asked me the other day what I wanted for Christmas. I said, "I'll take you!" She replied, "OK." She has to work Christmas day, so I'm going to pay her a visit and keep her company! What a doll! I'd be her sugar daddy for a few weeks! YUMMY!!!!!

Maybe I can talk her into riding over with me to Brooksville on the 30th.

Bartman

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Installed my MBL risers this morning. Thanks for the tip of lifting the meters out of the way instead of unplugging all the connectors.

I even spent a few hours building a "official meter holder upper tool". :idea: LOL... (Give me a pair of needlenose and a wire coat hanger, I become Einstein!) :oops: I just hooked it to the bottom of the meter and ran a small bungee cord over the shield. I hooked the bungee to the vent.

It looks like it will give easy access to check the head bearings when I get ready also. :wink:

Thanks again... :)

FYI... I could have built my "special tool" in a couple of minutes, but I got distracted by Chelsea and Alisa! LOL..

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Wow, those nav units look like a real pain if ya have to remove the meter panel to get to the head bearings.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
galute said:
Wow, those nav units look like a real pain if ya have to remove the meter panel to get to the head bearings.
The dash/meter assembly on all '06 and 07's is different than earlier years.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts