GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 GL1800 (IVA model) with some electrical problems which I need help resolving. The problem was sporadic but is now continuous. Initially, when starting the bike, none of the gages would work for the first few seconds before they came to life. Now the problem is continuous which helps with the troubleshooting. Here are the symptoms:

• Following gages do not indicate (Tachometer, speedometer, Fuel, Temperature)
  • Odometer and tripometer are not indicating increasing mileage
  • The Overdrive light does not illuminate when in 5th gear.
  • The engine starts and operates fine
  • Cruise control light for having the switch on is illuminated but when going to Set the cruise control, it is does not work.
  • Turn signals do turn on but I am not sure if they cancel.
  • Brake lights illuminate when applying the brakes but the tail lights are not illuminated
  • The saddle bag and trunk open switches no longer indicate if the saddle bag or trunk is open
  • The neutral light illuminates when in nuetral
  • No F1 light
  • Fog Lights are no longer illuminating
  • Reverse light does NOT illuminate when in reverse. The bike will go into reverse and backup when applying the reverse.
  • Battery voltage is fine with the alternator generating a charge for the battery.
  • All the radio/cb functions work as expected.

My guess is I have a loose connection. The wiring chart shows a 22P Gr plug which has many of the functions which are not working. I removed the seat and shook some of the wires/plugs with no affect. Is the 22PGR plug the likely culprit? Anyone know the location of the plug so I can reseat the plug?

Thanks for your help.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,211 Posts
Sounds like you've got what I just had. Here's the post where Techdude walked me though it. His answer is earlier, but realization comes around post #18 (no, that's not a hashtag).

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?500746-Gauges-dash-light-cruise-control-died
:agree: sounds like you have at least the same bad brown/white wire connection issues, but you may have more based on all the symptoms you have. Have you checked the tail light fuse and swapped the tail light relay with another? The 22 pin connector you are looking at is under the left fairing pocket, but it can't cause all of your symptoms. One symptom it won't cause would be the cruise control not setting. The blue junction block can cause at least 90% of your symptoms. I'm going to be offline for most of the day helping a friend fix their TV and some family stuff, so if you need help with this, do a search of my posts, there's bunches of threads about this block and it's issues. Keep in mind there's at least three different power distribution circuits contained in this block and more than one can have a problem at the same time and they are not electrically connected to each other. When you look at it, the wires and circuits that are connected to each other all have the same colors and should not be cross connected to any other colored wire in the block.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Setting cruise if your speedo says 0 mph won't work. It must read at least 30 mph. Check your tail fuse. That will cause many of your woes. Replace and see how many return. Mine blew a coupla days ago with a loud pop that I could hear! Fixed that and it's been working since. Don't know what made it pop.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I removed the tape on the C25 junction box and found noticeable heat damage. Was able to make the problem intermittent. Looks like I get to cut some wires and have a friend do some soldering.

Sounds like you've got what I just had. Here's the post where Techdude walked me though it. His answer is earlier, but realization comes around post #18 (no, that's not a hashtag).

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?500746-Gauges-dash-light-cruise-control-died

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,211 Posts
Setting cruise if your speedo says 0 mph won't work. It must read at least 30 mph. Check your tail fuse. That will cause many of your woes. Replace and see how many return. Mine blew a coupla days ago with a loud pop that I could hear! Fixed that and it's been working since. Don't know what made it pop.
Waldo, you might want to investigate your blue junction block as well, it may be your culprit.:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts