GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to take the U-shaped plastic panel on either side of the ignition switch off. There's a different type of plastic fastners on the bottom of the panels. There flush and look like you just would pull them out but somethings different. Do i need a special tool? Almost seems like you have to hold the outside piece and then turn the inside piece?
Probably go to the dealer tomorrow and make them show me.

·
Chard Member
12,972 Posts
Sorry, don't have a clue what piece you are talking about. :( I've only seen 3 different type rivets on the 18's. You push in the center and pop it out or you pull out the middle and pull it out and the one for the CB cover which you dig the center out then pop it out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ATV Fastner

Okay went to the dealer, he had a nice $50 dollar pair of teeth pulling pliers they use to pull these fastners. He said there used all over the ATV's.
Came home and found something similar and of course the inside part went flying somewhere :eek: Back to the original project, Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
fastener tool?

Can you give us a picture of the tool? Where did you get it? The '06 (maybe '05 as well) have a bunch of these larger PITA fasteners. The only way I found to remove them (with out a special tool) is to push out the center from the back. Sort of impossible in some locations. Trying to use a screwdriver (or two) will only destroy them and do nothing to remove them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I made the tool out of a cheap pair of needle nose plyers. I just heated the tips up and bent them in. If you can find someone with a torch it only took me two minutes to make the tool. Works great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts