GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all... newbie member here but ive been reading posts here for a while... so now, I have my very first question... I have a 2006 GL1800, and I would like to upgrade my speakers to something a little better.. What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
8,565 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Have you had a hearing test lately?? Not crackin wise with ya, but these newer stereos crank up pretty good. Even at 90 or so, I hear mine fine set at 17.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Auto (Audio) Volume Control. It automatically raises the volume as you increase speed. I think mine is set to Medium and it works great. I use to have the volume around 20 until I turned AVC on and now it's usually around 10-12. Also, try the Ambience settings. It makes a big difference in sound - you may or may not like it. I have mine set to Low.

It's all in the manual - Page 93 for me. :wink:

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
arbikerdude said:
ok thanks, ill give that a look at tomorrow (well... later this morning.. )
Somethings just not setup properly. You should spend a little time to adjust and tweek it some. 06 and up premium audio models have a much more powerful audio system than the previous models. With the factory exhaust system I can comfortably listen to mine thru the external speakers cruising at 85 mph or better. The only minor deficiency is a slight lack of bass response, but we are talking about an open cockpit area with limited acoustic resonance capabilities.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Also.......maybe your helmet allows a lot of wind noise?? And you might consider a headset. They make all the difference in the world in audio quality......no need for new speakers and probably costs about the same.

I just put in Edets, and they sound very good as compared to the previous one.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
17,384 Posts
I am so disappointed! You mean to tell me that the Premium Audio Package is an under performer!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I have an '02 with a rather basic rear speaker kit added - very similar in quality and performance to those provided by Honda for the front. Initially, the audio via the speakers was a joke and useless unless parked in the cycle bay; where it was great. AVC? Then, I agreed with most everybody else that it was a joke - useless at teets on a bore hog.

Then one day, aftyer having the top shelter off for a steering bearing adjustment or some such unrelated to audio task, I picked up one of my old helmets that did not have the pugtail wire attached. I had been listenting to a ball game and kept it on speakers as I test rode the bike. Right away, I noticed a remarkable improvement in "speaker" audio, I could actually hear the ball game up to about 60 mph and the AVC was definitely working! I wondered what I had josseled or shaken to "fix" that stupid audio system?

After a while I learned the truth. It was the helmet and not the audio system at all. My old 3/4 open face was way more quiet than was my Nolan N100 flip lid -- way-way quieter RE wind baffle. I got into insert phones and all of that was pretty much forgotten. I installed a new wind screen, the Tulsa Extra Tall and a set of mirror wings at the same time. First ride was two-up with my typical EdSets head sets and intercom because my rider has pisplaced hir insert phones. Immediately I knew I had just received another revelation of blessing! The intercom was almost totally silent, except the voices were loud and crystal clear. No mutes no mic mutes -- just stock straight up operation - remarkabble. No wind baffle on me or the passenger to speak of. I hated the looking through the screen part, but loved the quiet and plush ride. Then I switched to speakers on the audio........ WOW! Even at 80 I could hear the music and understand the speech. That big ole barn door sized shield was a personal/portable amplitheater! My AVC is now too effective if set to max so I pretty much keep it on low, unless I am really getting it on down the interstate.

As an audiologist; I realize that attempts to increase the audio to hear over the excessive wind baffle noise of the stock shield is going to expose the rider and passenger to sound levels that will permanently reduce their hearing. The wind baffle alone in many helments is going to do so. So an audio buff cranking it up to hear at speed is wrecking that most precious sense he possesses - his hearing. For at speed riding, I strongly encourage insert ear phones with sound isolating cuffs, such as those by Etymotic or Shure. If you gotta "improve" your speaker audio, seek the quietest windscreen you can find as your first expense - its got to be the biggest bang for the buck availave for enhanced external speaker audio.

prs

·
Registered
135 Posts
2006 gl1800 speaker upgrade

Hello ARbikerdude: You can upgrade the speakers. and I did it to mine. The sound system is already good...but I felt the speakers themselves could use some help. Having read many posts...I came up with some of my own ideas and it worked out well.

A sub-woofer is not an option for me so I am satisfied with the results. I bought Boston speakers...S-45 for the rear and S-55 for the front. 35w RMS, 4 ohms, and the S-45 has a peak power handling of 80w. The S-55 have a 100w peak power handling. S-45 are 4" and the S-55 are 5.25.

To close the rear pods and have flush mounting, the rear speakers need to be raised off their base because the magnets are so large compared to the stock OEM speakers. Some people have done this with nuts or washers. I used 1/8" rubber gasket material, and ended up stacking several for the rear and used one each for the front. I used the rubber gasket material in some creative ways and the sound is great. I then put in some rubber foam padding in the pods and front housings too. I did cut the end of the bolt holes off on the speaker tabs that fasten to the speaker base's and it looked like a tuning fork when done on all four tabs. Using larger washers and longer screws, I had perfect results. All connections were soldered, not crimped. I left the original tweeters connected and they play with the other four tweeters. Great sound, more bass, (not like a sub-woofer would accomplish though) Many people with more skill have done some amazing things but this upgrade you can do by yourself and in your garage. Let me know if you have any questions. My bike is an 06 level 4. Happy new year. Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.