GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you look and read the details on this salvage title 2006 GL1800 with just over 700 miles on it. It explains the frame broke at the weld under the seat and then broke the drive shaft along with a bunch of other things. Go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Go ... 3640QQrdZ1
After looking at all the pictures of just how bad the frame broke, it kind of makes me sick. The person that was driving this bike is going to have one hell of a law suit against Honda if the frame just broke. I don't see anywhere that looks like either the bike hit something or was hit by something. It looks like even the engine isn't any good. I wonder if the owner of the bike got another GL1800 under warranty? Then I wonder if he rode another new one or sold it on the spot? This is the worst frame break I have ever seen.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Interesting,

So did the frame break cause the crash, or was the break a result of the crash? Although the mileage looks like 781, the front tire looks as if it has no tread, what's up with that.?

I think we need a bit more information before determining if this is a Honda problem or a rider caused problem. I have not heard of any problems with '05-'07 frames. Have you?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not trying to defend Honda in any way or fashion...but the add does state that the bike was "wrecked" to what extent it's hard to really tell from the poor pictures on the add.

Maybe the guy rode it off a loading ramp and came down on a curb or something that smacked straight in the middle of the underside of the bike.....would this crack a frame??? I guess it all depends on many factors with how far it fell or at what speed...ect.

Pretty vague description and pictures to really asses blame here I think.

This should be a fun tread to watch over the next few days.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
BlueWing said:
The person that was driving this bike is going to have one hell of a law suit against Honda if the frame just broke.
Why?

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's quite obvious that the bike was struck from behind or drove into something or maybe was parked and sandwiched between a rock and a hard place. By the way that the frame is bent it most likely appeares that the bike was crushed up against a solid object maybe a parked car or something, maybe the ex wife put it in a huge vise?????????

·
Registered
416 Posts
That's my old bike. I was jumping 15 Greyhound buses when I missed the landing ramp. Guess 800 lbs. coming down that hard wasn't good for the frame. :yes:

·
Registered
589 Posts
In high school my welding instructor used to stress test our welds. If they broke they weren't good enough. He said that the weld should be the last thing to break. This fails his criterion.

·
Registered
192 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
And just M A Y B E ---- the frame broke causing the crash.. oh wait..
thats impossible right ???? :roll:

cosmic
I'm no engineer, but if the frame broke first wouldn't it be sagging down instead of being pushed up?

H

·
0 Posts
GWRAT said:
cosmic_chariot said:

cosmic
I'm no engineer, but if the frame broke first wouldn't it be sagging down instead of being pushed up?
I hereby award you an Honorary Doctorate in Engineering. I agree with you. But I am sure we will hear some other reasons. Maybe it contracted by sitting out in the hot sun too long.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Todd Graham said:
That's my old bike. I was jumping 15 Greyhound buses when I missed the landing ramp. Guess 800 lbs. coming down that hard wasn't good for the frame. :yes:
LOL

If you read the fine print, the warranty is void when jumping buses if there are more than twelve, and if the fuel tank is more than half full and if its a week day or week end! :roll: :D :roll:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:

cosmic
Ya know, THAT makes PERFECT sense! The frame broke and caused the wreck. Honda paid the owner off and examined the bike, gave it to the NHTSA who examinined it, then everyone swept it under the carpet. Then they sold the "evidence" to some salvage dealer so he could put it on EBay!

You've been drinking the swampwater again, haven't you?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
First of all, there are no details to support that the frame broke & caused the problem.

Second, I don't know why someone would even bid on a wreck unless most of the parts are intact.

At the 2006 Honda Homecoming, I had the opportunity to talk at length to the Honda reps about the frame problem. There was a frame on display, and the person manning the booth went into detail about the welding process and the fix for the problem. From the 2005 model on, the new process has been used.

I find it amusing that one would draw the conclusion that Honda was at fault just by seeing that photo. The only time I remember a photo being that conclusive was in the movie My Cousin Vinny.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
John Garner said:
The only time I remember a photo being that conclusive was in the movie My Cousin Vinny.
Maybe one of the "youts" of the Goldwing World put a C/T on the bike.?!. :coolit: :coolit:

Sorry, but I had to say it.......

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I don't see anywhere that looks like either the bike hit something or was hit by something.
Look at the left front crash bar. That thing took a big hit to make it move back that far.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I know what happened, He put a car tire on and was riding real fast and it overheated because he forgot to change the crushwasher and he stopped real fast and it buckled the frame up and it broke. :shock:

·
Registered
833 Posts
The frame angling up like that would suggest that the force causing the break came either from below or from either end. It is highly unlikely that it would go up with a 200lb person siitting just above where it broke.

For what is it worth, that is my humble opinion.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Kinda wonder if the driver didn't lay it down and it slid into a heavy post that did not move? Just a thought.

Ross

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
What gets me its always the same people on here that keep bashing the goldwing. But they keep riding one wonder why? If a goldwing aint worth a $hit buy the one you thinks best. Thats what i do on anything on anything i buy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts