Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 GL1800HPNA 8900.00obo ABS, Comfort, Nav

2006 GL1800HPNA Comfort, Premium Audio, Navigation and ABS in Artic White.

60,481 miles (may change a little as I ride whenever I can)

8900.00 OBO

Please read entire ad if you are seriously looking for a really nice used GL1800 that has been nicely updated! I am selling because I have my Fathers 2 BMW's (68 R60US and 75 R90/6) that I want to get running again.

I am the second owner of this bike and have owned it for 3 years. The original owner lived in my neighborhood (we both worked here at the Observatory) and when he retired I bought it from him. Garaged for it's entire life and covered when on overnight trips. Bike was regularly serviced in Las Cruses, New Mexico at Las Cruses Motorsports.

Bike was amazing and beautiful when I got it, but handling and comfort were not to my liking. I began reading forums (mostly gl1800riders) and articles about the GL1800 and found there were a lot of people who loved their bikes, but had also found the same issues that I had. There were also a number of little "tweaks/hacks" that long time riders had noticed and recommended.

I have spent well over 4500.00 in the past 3 years just on parts alone to accomplish all of this! Here is a list of items that have been done over the past 3 years and less than 9000 miles:

UPGRADED COMFORT ITEMS

- Corbin Masters Leather Seat and Corbin Ovalbac Backrest - corbin.com - (I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam and the stock seat had me pushed forward and up almost into the fairing) this Corbin seat is approx. 2" down and 2" back and is designed, according to Corbin, to fit at least 80% of riders (short and tall). VERY COMFORTABLE! Seat is not heated, but this bike does have the "Comfort Package" that included heated seat, so the wiring is there if you decided to change seats again to a heated unit. There is a "dummy load" plugged in to the connector so that the grip/hand warmers continue to work.

- F4 Customs +4 Windshield - light tint with vent - f4customs.com - these are incredible windshields, can and are supposed to be cleaned with paper towels. Not a scratch on this one!!

- Baker Built Adjustable Hand Wings (new generation) - this and the F4 Windshield made a huge difference in my wife's riding enjoyment as a passenger.

SUSPENSION SYSTEM IMPROVEMENT ITEMS

- Traxxion Traxx-Rite Billet Triple Tree/clamps - traxxion.com - expensive, but one of the best additions that was made on this bike as far as handling was concerned!

- Front Forks were rebuilt with Progressive Monotubes - progressivesuspension.com

- Forks were rebuilt using all new Honda bushings and seals

- SuperBrace fork stabilizer - superbrace.com

- Anti Dive was disabled with a shim and can be re-enabled by removing two little bolts and the shim(the factory Anti Dive system, along with the front suspension, seems to be the biggest issue on GL1800's, and the above 4 items address ALL of that).

- 2015 Factory Upgraded Rear Shock assembly was purchased and installed using a new Progressive Rear Spring.

- Traxxion Braided Line was used to replace stock shock preload adjuster line when system was bled.

- Front Tire is a Bridgestone Battle Ax and a Run Flat Yokohama Avid Envigor is on rear - some people refer to this as "darksiding". Handles great, and comforting to have the safety of a RunFlat tire when traveling (especially when my wife is with me).

- TireGard tire pressure monitoring system.

ADDITIONAL MAINTENANCE ITEMS

- Oil and filter changed every 5000 miles or every year, whichever comes first. It was just changed in January. I have used Rotella T6 5w-40 (synthetic) since I have owned it.

- Front wheel bearings were replaced

- Brake recall was performed and all 3 Master Cylinders (clutch and front and rear brake) were flushed and refilled

- Front Brake Pads replaced

- Antifreeze was flushed and changed

- Spark Plugs

- Air Filter

- Wire Mesh was put on the air filter intake tubes (to prevent rodents getting into the air filter housing)

- Headlight bulbs (4) were replaced when new windshield was installed.

- Final Drive oil was drained and replaced

- Oil Filter guard is installed to prevent rocks/debris form hitting the oil filter. https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=427

- Sheet metal "guard" attached to the bottom of the plastic cooling system "catch can" to also prevent rocks/debris damage.

MISCELLANEOUS REPAIRS

- Left (driver's side) radiator and fan were replaced shortly after I purchased bike. Fan had rubbed a hole in the radiator. Fans on both sides were shimmed to make sure that they had more than enough clearance so this wouldn't happen again.

- Small touched up area at the bottom of right side saddlebag where bike was leaned against a rock wall at a rest stop. We live in the Davis Mountains and were riding down through the Big Bend and when we stopped, what looked like a flat area was actually sloped and when the bike was stopped and kick stand put down, the bike went the other direction and scratched the bottom edge of the saddlebag as it leaned against the rock wall....didn't go all the way over, but, yeah, I cried....I will try to see if it can be seen in a picture.

- A few other small touched up areas from existing scratches. All are very small but were there.

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS AND ITEMS THAT COME WITH THE BIKE

- Dowco Guardian Full Cover with trunk rack bag to put it in when travelling. VERY nice cover. http://wingstuff.com/products/2805-...text=dowco-gold_wing_gl1800-motorcycle_covers

- Chrome Trunk Rack

- Trunk Organizer

- Saddlebag and Trunk liners/luggage

- Front Nose Mask

- Fog lights

- Wires and helmet hookups for intercom, radio and MP3 player. Does not come with a CB, former owner and myself are HAM Radio Operators and neither of us used a CB. My wife and I used a SENA SMH10 Wireless Bluetooth intercom on our helmets so we could answer our phones, listen to our music and the GPS, so I have never hooked up or used the Gold Wings tethered wiring, but I will provide you with all the Gold Wing accessory cords that were given me when I purchased bike. I would highly recommend a SENA or similar Bluetooth unit over the factory stuff (just my opinion).

- 12 volt DC Accessory Socket in left side fairing pocket.

- Ram X-Mount phone cradle mounted on the Clutch Master Cylinder (fits big phones, mine is a Note 8 in an Otterbox and is almost 3 1/2" wide, it barely fits).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very nice bike! GLWS!

:)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I didn't put the location on the post.....I am located at McDonald Observatory in far West Texas....15 miles north of Fort Davis....I would be willing to deliver it up to 300 miles from here if that helps....I know I am in the middle of nowhere..... :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was asked to see some pictures of the front "bra-less" and of the back....these were taken before the F4 +4 windshield was installed....

Reactions: THEWING

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Price drop to 8500.00......thanks!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
7900.00 would consider trading for a comparable valued RV - 5th wheel preferred.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bike is sold, thanks Kevin!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status