GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about 5'8" inches short, yet I feel that the seat on my 2006 Goldwing sits me to close to the gas tank. I like to ride with my feet a little forward of my knees. I find that my feet are actually under and/or behind my knees. I have starting looking for an aftermarket seat or a company that can redo my seat to give me a little more room to slide back. Other then the already mentioned problem, I feel the seat is actually pretty comfortable. I have contacted Hartco, Diamond, Corbin, and Bike Solutions. Does anyone feel the same about the Goldwing seat and have any suggestions? Has anyone tried any of the companies that I have contacted or have found someone else that they would recommend

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Peg reloacation kit helps a small bit, they put your feet about 3/4" further forward. Mic-O-Pegs are definitely nice to use in the fashion of horse saddle stirrups to support part of your weight on your feet and allow you to push back a a bit. Handle bar "risers" set to give a more rearward postion should help a good bit. I don't know if there is anything practical to do in regard to lowering the rear end short of using one of the car tires. If you can tolerate the increase, maybe you can raise the front end by setting the forks flush in the triple tree or by using stouter springs. If you get your seat re-worked or order a custom seat, maybe they can overstuff the front area. I think the 'feet under ars" position was intended by Honda to yield a sprotier feel -- I think they screwed that up pretty bad.

prs

·
Registered
130 Posts
I hated the stock 06 seat. After an hour my boyz were barkin' and my arse went to sleep (flat ol' white guy butt). Rather than spend for an aftermarket seat that may or may not fit or be any more comfortable than stock for me, I had the stock seat reworked and re-foamed at an automotive upholstery shop that just so happens, also does seats for a custom MC shop. I rode in, we took the seat off, yanked out the factory foam, put in that Swedish memory foam, re-installed the seat, test drive. Came back, took the seat back in the shop. Based on what I told him about where I needed relief or support, he carved the foam with an electric knife...dishing some out here, shaving some off there. Put it back together, perfecto!! Haven't had the seat off since. Seat job, plus ****-o-pegs and I'm set! Best part is it only cost me a fraction of a new custom seat.

Truly, the only way IMO to get a seat dialed in to YOU is have it custom fit. Buying an assembly line seat, no matter how great the quality, is still a crap shoot. Arses just are not created equal. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Prewater.
You are in a catch 22 situation. If you go back in the seat, it will make touching the ground harder when coming to a stop unless you slide forward each time. I had this happen to a customer.

Here is why. The seat pan is narrow in the front and that is the only place where your legs can extend the most to the ground. If you slide back, your legs will want to come off the sides of the seat rather than the front where it is narrow. There is also a lot of foam in the sides making it wider, and the pan is getting wider as you go back.

You might fix the room problem by going back, but you wont be able to touch the ground as well. And yes... Once to two inches back makes a huge difference.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts