GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
What GPS make and model are you asking about? There are hundreds of makes and models, and each uses a specific mapping software vendor and mapping software version.

No one can answer your question without more specifics.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I meant to say The GPS that came with the GoldWing 2006, the one that comes with the Motorcycle from HONDA.
:roll: JAKER :roll:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jaker said:
Sorry I meant to say The GPS that came with the GoldWing 2006, the one that comes with the Motorcycle from HONDA.
:roll: JAKER :roll:

yea, i knew that too... :)

and no, i dont know of any out yet, but would like to update mine

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just called Garmin last week regarding this very question. Seems that Honda (according to the person I spoke with at Garmin) is now holding up the update process, for whatever reason. When the new card/version of maps will be released, the cost will be 300.00

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Just do it yourself as many of us have lots of post here how to just search., I did My 06 up to version 8

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Shooters said:
I just called Garmin last week regarding this very question. Seems that Honda (according to the person I spoke with at Garmin) is now holding up the update process, for whatever reason. When the new card/version of maps will be released, the cost will be 300.00
:lol: Yeah, right! I'm thinking there must be some friction between Garmin and Honda. I wonder if Garmin gets a kick out of telling people stuff like that? "Watch what I tell this guy... <snicker>... 'Uh, yes, sir, mother Honda is holding up the update ... yeah, that's the ticket... oh, and they are going to charge $300 for it too!' Pfffttt... :lol: I think he bought it!" I'm guessing whoever said that is full of crap.

Last I heard the update would be around $70. I'm not believing anything until it's out. If it is $300 I'm sure a lot more people will revolt. I won't pay it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
upssnowman said:
Just do it yourself as many of us have lots of post here how to just search., I did My 06 up to version 8
Upssnowman,

When you upgraded, were you able to get any additional features, such as uploading a trip from your computer, or get rid of the horrible beep and "unverified road"? Or did it just upgrade the map itself? I'm just trying to find out the benefits of upgrading on my own at this time.

David

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
William Anzik said:
Last I heard the update would be around $70. I'm not believing anything until it's out. If it is $300 I'm sure a lot more people will revolt. I won't pay it. :lol:
You are quite the dreamer. Oh, and I bet you will. :lol:

·
Registered
602 Posts
William Anzik said:
Shooters said:
:lol: Yeah, right! I'm thinking there must be some friction between Garmin and Honda. I wonder if Garmin gets a kick out of telling people stuff like that? "Watch what I tell this guy... <snicker>... 'Uh, yes, sir, mother Honda is holding up the update ... yeah, that's the ticket... oh, and they are going to charge $300 for it too!' Pfffttt... :lol: I think he bought it!" I'm guessing whoever said that is full of crap.

I'm just passing along exactly what was told to me. I didn't get the feeling the CSR I spoke with was pulling my dork intentionally. Especially since he put me hold 3 seperate times to ask other members of their support staff questions I shot out at him. I got the impression they really weren't sure, but somebody passed along that Honda put the brakes on the upgrade. If it does turn out to be 300 bux, hey, don't pay it! That's up to you.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yup I paid $70.00 plus shipping for City Navigator North America V8 from Garmin

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
weengers said:
William Anzik said:
"You can say that I'm a dreamer,
well I'm not the only one,
I hope some day you can join us
and all us Wingers with NAV... can live as one!"

Apologies to John Lennon.

If the update has some functional changes/improvements then I'd consider it. But for just a map update? No way.

Shooters, I apologize to you - I didn't intend to insult you but if I did I'm sorry. I believe you. It's just that mixed messages seem to be coming from Garmin. It could be because of Honda - I don't know.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Texan Trail, just maps were updated, there is no port to plug in a cable so unless the units are replaced by Honda which I think they should be for what we paid for them, then no there is no way to set up routes or waypoints to be loaded, but maps can be done easily, the unbverified roads? I havent heard it since I updated so I'm not sure on that one, I have got to the point that I just turned off the sound on the gps to get rid of the beep

·
Registered
602 Posts
William Anzik said:
weengers said:
[quote="William Anzik":1ilqlr4b]
"You can say that I'm a dreamer,
well I'm not the only one,
I hope some day you can join us
and all us Wingers with NAV... can live as one!"

Apologies to John Lennon.

If the update has some functional changes/improvements then I'd
consider it. But for just a map update? No way.

Shooters, I apologize to you - I didn't intend to insult you but if I did I'm sorry. I believe you. It's just that mixed messages seem to be coming from Garmin. It could be because of Honda - I don't know.[/quote:1ilqlr4b]

William, no offense taken bud. I was just trying to make a point that nobody seems to have a handle on this damn factory GPS upgrade, and quite frankly I know it's pissing a lot of folks off. I sure am! I am considering doing the card upgrade and putting my own version 8 map source on as instructed by another member. A little reluctant to start messing around with the exisiting CF card though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would pay the 300 if and only if the update changed the included software to plan routes on a pc and upload those routes to the card. Otherwise, the built in GPS is just a nice way to find my way home when old age kicks in and I forget. For serious trip routing I'll continue to use my PocketPC and CoPilot software.

That said, I would LOVE it if they gave us this functionality and I could use the wonderful screen and built in audio that they gave us. Why do they have to do things just half way? <grumble>

·
Registered
602 Posts
MHampton said:
I would pay the 300 if and only if the update changed the included software to plan routes on a pc and upload those routes to the card. Otherwise, the built in GPS is just a nice way to find my way home when old age kicks in and I forget. For serious trip routing I'll continue to use my PocketPC and CoPilot software.

That said, I would LOVE it if they gave us this functionality and I could use the wonderful screen and built in audio that they gave us. Why do they have to do things just half way? <grumble>
Amen brother! I couldn't have described it any better than that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2006 GoldWing GPS

Here what I found from a Honda Dealer ( SHOP TALK ) sheets dated last June 2006 (WORD FOR WORD).

GL1800 NAVI UPDATE
There maybe some confusion about the GL1800 Navigation System (NAVI) update procedure. The next printing of the Navi manual will include revised text to make the procedure more clear. The factory-installed CF memory card that operates the Navigation System cannot be updated. It must be replaced with a new CF memory card offered by Garmin Ltd. The new memory card will contain updated map information and any system operation software updates.
After replacement, the old memory card can be used in other electronic equipment such as a digital camera.
Currently, we do not have a release date for the update; we'll inform you when it's available. the new memory card will be available from Garmin Ltd.
END OF QUOTE

I just received this information yesterday.

:roll: Jaker :roll:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Quote:"The factory-installed CF memory card that operates the Navigation System cannot be updated. It must be replaced with a new CF memory card offered by Garmin Ltd. The new memory card will contain updated map information and any system operation software updates."

Those of us who have already upgraded the factory-installed CF card know that this is B.S. Talk about mis-information!!!

It took me about 30 minutes to update the card (mostly due to USB1 connection to CF reader).

Many posts on the GPS topic board about how to do it.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2006 Gold Wing GPS

You are right Bill (KG5IE), no doubt, misinformation from Honda, but this quote is directly from Honda (Shop Talk) sheets, for what it's worth !!!

:roll: Jaker (VE3 MOQ) 73's :roll:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts