GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first go down the road,shifts with no clunking at all.Once she is warmed up,it will not shift as smooth,and basically cluinks into gear,no matter how "soft"I shift.Is this normal?
I use Honda oil for all oil changes.Has 14,500 miles on her,did the 12,000 change,found no problems.Help is appreciated.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is a common complaint on GoldWings. I have an '06 that was worse than any of the other 3 wings I have owned. I switched to Amsoil and it is MUCH smoother now. Saw an immediate improvement when I changed the oil and has been great ever since. I had read claims on this forum that Amsoil would make a difference, but was skeptical. Worked great for me. I will continue to use Amsoil. Talk to Bulldog, he will give you a discount and is a great guy.

Hal

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,589 Posts
Try not letting off the throttle as much (like speed shifting). It has made my 1st to 2nd shifts smooth and much less clunky. :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
razwrld said:
When I first go down the road,shifts with no clunking at all.Once she is warmed up,it will not shift as smooth,and basically cluinks into gear,no matter how "soft"I shift.Is this normal?
I use Honda oil for all oil changes.Has 14,500 miles on her,did the 12,000 change,found no problems.Help is appreciated.
My 2006 shifts so smooth. Try these items. #1 Change your oil to Amsoil. I have been an Amsoil dealer since 1980 and run it in everything I've owned. I bought my Wing with 6k miles on it. It was getting 38-39 mpg with a fresh Honda oil change. I switched to
Amsoil and now get 43-45mpg, with much smoother shifts. Petro oil, say 10w40, becomes about 10w25 within 2500 miles - not thick enough for trans protection. #2 Preload the shifter lever; e.g. lift up on the lever, with your foot, before you pull in the clutch lever. You will see that the trans shifts before the clutch lever is pulled in very far. This makes for smoother shifts! Be well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine only clunked when I down shifted to first too soon. Now I avoid first at all costs. My smile is bigger in 4th and 5th anyway. 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts