GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Thinking of buying one. Anyone have opinions or good info on that year?
I have owned an 03, 05 and after that two 2010s. There were some changes in 06 and for the most part I think they were for the better. To me the 06 thru 10's seemed more refined than either the 03 or 05. Even seemed quieter and smoother, but then, both of my previous Wings each had well over 100k on them when I replaced them.
The only thing I didn't like were the Euro style tail lights, To me the solid red tail lights were more visible in traffic, and I just don't like the looks of the clear lights, but that is more a matter of personal preference and was an easy fix.

·
Administrator
3,586 Posts
I have nothing but good to say about my '06 Wing. I have over 200,000 miles on it and would not hesitate to strike out cross country on it tomorrow. As MOH58 said, the made a few changes from the earlier models, and I'm very happy with mine and the ABS package. By the way, the ABS is (IMHO) a mandatory item. I'll not consider any Wing that doesn't have ABS.

Glen

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My 06(71,000) has not given me any problems. I watch the board daily and don't seem to see many 06's with problems.. Good bikes, as most of the wings are!!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
My '06 has been great. No problems.

Some improvements were made starting in '06 including an upgraded stereo system and larger radiators.

I'm sure there were a few others as well. Some other board members may be along shortly with a list!

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I bought my 06 new and had it triked right away.
Never a problem with it!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am happy with my 06. Have 92K on it with no problems. The folks at the factory had to be some happy campers the day it was assembled.

·
Registered
698 Posts
No one knows actual production numbers but it seems that 06 was a big year. It was the year that Honda corrected a bunch of problems. It's also the year that the GL1800 really hit it's stride.

Major changes in 06: The frame welding issue was fixed and the cooling system improved. There were a bunch of other less obvious changes.

Not much else changed until '12.

So short answer is any 06 or newer bike is good.

Longer: older bikes can be good too but you need to confirm that the frame recall was done and if you might be riding slow in hot weather you'll need to watch the temp...

The ECM has been changed a few times over the years. I've heard people say that the earliest bikes actually had more giddyup. But I'll defer to the experts on weather or not this matters.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Depending on miles it would be due for an suspension upgrade or maintenance. I have had no issues outside of Honda's warranty with my '06. I have 88k on the clock. But you may be able to pick up a 2010 for close to the same price.

·
Registered
81 Posts
only problems

Only problems with the 06 is they fall over on their right side scratching saddlebags and mirrors that has the color cabernet red LOL!!! Ah but that was the strong winds fault :agree:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Changes to the 2006 Goldwing

re-designed dash and larger front and rear speaker pods
first year GPS was available
larger radiators and cooling fans
better rubbers between the engine guards and exhaust cowls
new rear trunk and saddlebag lights
bigger rear speaker pods
frame issues fixed in 2005 strengthened in the lower crossmember area.

First year Goldwing came out in four variations...
1) Premium Audio package, which had six speakers and an 80 watts per channel external amplifier
2) Audio/Comfort package model added (in addition to the audio package mentioned) heated grips and a heated saddle (separate controls for front and back) and warm air flaps in the lower exhaust cowls
3) Audio/Comfort/Navi package added a flash-card based GPS system to the other options
4) Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS package added ABS breaks

Air Bag came out in 2007

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Changes to the 2006 Goldwing

re-designed dash and larger front and rear speaker pods
first year GPS was available
larger radiators and cooling fans
better rubbers between the engine guards and exhaust cowls
new rear trunk and saddlebag lights
bigger rear speaker pods
frame issues fixed in 2005 strengthened in the lower crossmember area.

First year Goldwing came out in four variations...
1) Premium Audio package, which had six speakers and an 80 watts per channel external amplifier
2) Audio/Comfort package model added (in addition to the audio package mentioned) heated grips and a heated saddle (separate controls for front and back) and warm air flaps in the lower exhaust cowls
3) Audio/Comfort/Navi package added a flash-card based GPS system to the other options
4) Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS package added ABS breaks

Air Bag came out in 2007

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

I believe the airbag came out on later 2006 models so the "Levels" can be confusing for that year.

Also, I think the rear speaker pods were the same size all years - just the 2006+ front ones are larger with the removal of the vents that were below the speakers on 2001-5 models.

2006+ has a bigger alternator - presumably for the bigger radiator fans, heated seats and 80 watt amplifier.

My 2006 has been great. Nearly 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
My 06 has been problem free for the last 111,000 miles. Oil, tires, brake pads and gas is the only thing it has needed.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Only problems with the 06 is they fall over on their right side scratching saddlebags and mirrors that has the color cabernet red LOL!!! Ah but that was the strong winds fault :agree:
the op is looking for honest answers. Don't confuse him with right hand fall over rumors. Mine is an 06 and it falls over on the left side.:roll: ( could be the color as mine is Cabernet Red too)Actually as stated before 06 do have all the stuff newer ones have. Fan cutting into the radiator was a problem and it did happen to mine. Covered by warranty. Some 06 have had trans problems but small percentage.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
i had a 2006 put 60k miles on that sucker in a yr and a half....not a single issue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts