GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, so far, the few things I've attempted on my 07 have been just a bit different than the "on-line" directions

the latest ...
read the posts about losing the screws that hold the end cap weights so I checked mine and was going to add locktight but they already seemed very tight so I passed on that.

fast forward two days ...

now, I've purchased some aftermarket hand grips and the first thing they tell you to do is remove the end weight screws and end weights ... well I've put the largest screwdriver I have on the screws and all that happens is the screws AND end weights turn inside the handle bar. The screws won't come out.

I've tried holding the end weights by hand and had someone else turn the screwdriver ... no luck ... I can't hold it.

I guess I could put a pair of vice grips on the weights and then try and remove the screws ... but that would wreck them for sure and if my recent past experience holds true someone will step up and say ... "oh, they don't work like that on the "07 models ... yadayadayada ... here's what you gotta do" ... or something like that.

so ... any suggestions? ... or perhaps the dealer put the screws on with red lock tight or superglue?

thanks as always,
Dennis

·
Registered
200 Posts
Also...

Try tightening the screw just a tad, and then try loosening. I do this a lot
with both screws and bolts...

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Just took mine off the new 07 to put on the Honda Chrome heated grips.
A couple of shots on the impact driver with a dead blow hammer and off they came. :)
DC

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dream Catcher said:
A couple of shots on the impact driver with a dead blow hammer and off they came. :) DC
good advice ... and an impact wrench did the trick.
Then I found the dealer had put red locktight on the threads.
I guess they didn't want them to come off.

I was able to get the OEM grips off without ruining them.

I put the ISO grips and paddle on ... feels a bit better but I'm not totally sure I like them yet but I'm leaving them on for now.

thanks to all for the feedback,
Dennis

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
You could also try holding the weight with a strap wrench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts