GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noted with my new 07 wing a few odd things.

1. When decelerating and braking to a stop the RPM hunts for about 5 seconds before settling down to a smooth idle. My other 3 wings did not display this trait.

2. A high pitched whining sound which is very noticable at about 3500 rpm. It makes a sound similar to my ST1100 which I always attributed to the timing belt. This sound is not coming from the audio..

Any comments.

Thanks
Fred

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should have been RPM hunting.. I changed the post. Other 3 were 2003,2004 and 2005. I think the wing has a timing belt also like the ST1000. I am not bothered too much by the sound, make the bike sound kind of bad ass.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
The RPM hunting may be caused by the dealer not intializing the ECM.

Simple to correct and won't hurt anything if it is not the problem.

Start the bike on a cold engine.

Do Not Touch the throttle.

Wait for the cooling fans to come on. (This could take awhile if it cold outside).

Turn the bike off.

ECM has been reset.

No need to disconnect the battery.

This is suppose to be done by the dealer as part of the dealer prep.

GL1800 has timing chains, not belts like the GL1500.

·
Registered
755 Posts
For what it is worth, my '06 does the same thing. I did the ECM reset thing and it did not help. I am just living with it.

As for the whine, I am attributing that to the alternator.

Just my $.02

If you find a fix for either, please post it..

Thanks,

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a 1989 GL1500 that was a little jumpy with the RPM's when slowing down to 1st or second gear. On the '89 I always had a very soft whining noise coming from the audio system.

I now have a 2006 GL1800 with 4K on her. The jumpy tach and low whine are the same as on the '89.

You tell me and then we will both know? I chaulk it up to just being the "normal" things the wing will do.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
fastfred said:
Should have been RPM hunting.. I changed the post. Other 3 were 2003,2004 and 2005. I think the wing has a timing belt also like the ST1000. I am not bothered too much by the sound, make the bike sound kind of bad ass.
Wing has timing chains, no belts.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Best I've heard is that both of these missives are normal. My 06 does it too. Remember these bikes have alternators with enough juice to light up a small city... handy for all the electrical stuff we load up with. By comparison, my VTX's electrical system is severely wanting, and doesn't like extra loads at all, but it's also an 1800. I don't mind the whine, and I live with the idle hunting. Doesn't hurt anything I'm aware of. Just a quirk.

·
Chard Member
13,225 Posts
My '06 surges bad. It's a PITA when riding the back roads and depending on engine braking. I didn't have that with any of my previous 18's.

The alt "whine" seems to be normal. Just like in past years, some are screamers and some are quieter. My '06 is fairly quiet. My friends '06 is one of the screamers. One of my past 18's was so loud I couldn't stand to let it idle in the garage.

Good Luck.......

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments. I was more curious than concerned. Just noticed the difference from my other 3 1800s.

Thanks

fred

1 - 12 of 12 Posts