GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2007 in for service New tires Air Cleaner, breaks and clutch fluid flushed.

I got my bike back in rough shape the heated seat and heated grips didn't work, the foot heater doors didn't close and a small wiring harness hanging out on the right side of the bike. They have fixed everything but the heated seated. They claim to have spend 8 - 10 hours checking wiring etc. They have power going to the seat power coming back out of the seat.

The seat was working a week before I took it in.

I have a stock seat. How long should it take for the seat to reach it's maximum output?

Thanks for the help.

Ivan

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The seat will not heat up if the temperature is too high. It needs to be below a certain temperature for it to heat up. IIRC, the outside temps have nothing to do with the grips and they should heat up anytime. What is the temperature when you are trying to test the seat?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same issue, my heated grips work fine (get almost too hot actually) but my seat doesnt work at all. Ive checked the fuses and the connections and everything is fine. The previous owner was the first owner and bought the bike new in 2015 and tells me the heated seats worked fine for him.

I have a hard time imagining that the seats only work under a certain ambient temperature... maybe so, but it seems weird... what if I like more heat than Honda ?

Anyway, is this absolutely for sure that the seats only heat up when the ambient temperature is below a certain level ? I dont need them now, Im in Vegas and Ive been riding in 114F, but I dont want to wait until its cold to find out the seat isnt working.

What would cause a 2015 bike with 16k miles heated seat to fail ?

Thanks, Stephan

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have the same issue, my heated grips work fine (get almost too hot actually) but my seat doesnt work at all. Ive checked the fuses and the connections and everything is fine. The previous owner was the first owner and bought the bike new in 2015 and tells me the heated seats worked fine for him.

What would cause a 2015 bike with 16k miles heated seat to fail ?

Thanks, Stephan
Pretty easy to test resistance and continuity(?) thru the seat heater wires.
Like any heated seat, the element wires are very small and somewhat prone to break. Broken/burnt off wire-no circuit/no heat. Multimeter to test for breaks.
IF there is a sensor that keeps the seat heat from working below a certain ambient temp it would be helpful to know where that sensor is located. If the sensor isn't in the seat itself it should be possible to apply 12v power directly to the seat connector and see if it heats up and disconnect the test.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your responses!

The temp's. have been in the 90's.

The dealer wants to change the heat controller I'm paying for the part and he covering the labor.

Again thanks for the responses.

Ivan

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
In order to test in warm temperatures, I place a quart size bag of ice on the drivers seat to fool the thermistors in the seat. With the engine running, I usually feel heat in about three minutes.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Here in Florida, especially in the warmer months, it is very hard to tell if a seat works or not.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
So, if it's warm enough to have to "fool" the seat into heating, why do you need the seat heat on?? One of the few things I would want is the seat warmer than I am. Up here I snowmobile almost as much as I ride motorcycle and have yet had a heated seat on a sled (although it's available now on a few models).

·
Registered
259 Posts
The GL1800 heated seats work off a Thermistor, this is located in the main control to the seat. But it is not under the seat it is a part of the on off control. Its purpose is to regulate voltage to the seat heat elements depending on temperature. The colder the ambient temperature is the more voltage and more heat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all of your comments and links.

I called the dealer yesterday and asked about Thermistor being in the seat and was told no.

Again thanks for all the reply's.

Ivan

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It may be time to find another dealer that is competent to help you diagnose if there really is a problem...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts