GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is starting to lean a bit more now days, I only had the bike for @year so far.

Haven't looked in to the mechanics of it but, is there a bushing that could be work out?

Or is it possibly the side kick stand itself or mount point?

There is quite a bit of olay on the kick stand when I move it. It should be just swinging up or down as I use it, not have lateral movement outward.

I searched online but, they have the kick stand but, no other parts to repair the slop?

·
Vendor
18,083 Posts
year ???
mileage ???
aftermarket suspension ???

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I hate to state the obvious, but have you checked the bolts that hold it on? They may have worked loose.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate to state the obvious, but have you checked the bolts that hold it on? They may have worked loose.
Check the bolts? May be I should...😁 I'm just looking to see what it could be. Obviously, I'm not too concerned enough to check it😱 not yet, any way.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Definitely check the bolt holding the stand to the mount. There should be a lock nut on the underside. If not the bolt may be working loose.
There is some lateral play in the stand.

·
Vendor
18,083 Posts
Yes, it's black.
If you put your Wing on the center stand, and lower the side stand, and grab its toe, you'll see that it will have a lot of in/out movement. Usually, that movement does not get excessive till 100k+ mileage. However factors that speed up looseness is excessive corrosion and poor maintenance. Fortunately it does not cost a lot to replace the worn parts. If you choose to do that, I've learn that its best to replace all wearing part. If yours is a 2001, it's parts #5, 6, and 9.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info on stand. I'll check it out to see which, if not all, need to be replaced.

·
Vendor
18,083 Posts
Here's some photos I took long ago. The first one is my old side stand that is actual bent. The heal sits far out from the frame.

The one below is where I'd replaced the bar only, and a new bar pulled it in this amount. However, it's the bar and the bracket that wear together. Once both are replaced, the bar folds up half again closer to the frame. The pivot bolt gets replaced as PM.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what mine look like...tried to upload GIF but, I can't do that here with MP4 format.

The bar is loose at the pivot point, bolt is tight so, something is worn out in there.

I'll remove them this week sometime when I get motivated to ride after all this rain here in NC.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
There is normally some play in the stand. It will move laterally.
Your picture looks like the stand may be bent.
Here is a picture of mine. You can see how much closer it is to the exhaust guard.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
One of the first things I bought was a bolt-on Sidestand Pad. I look at that small toothpick with it's tiny base and wonder when its gonna give way. The pad itself raises the bike a little.

Reactions: BretC

·
Registered
17 Posts
Once you’ve gotten a good look at all the readily visible aspects of the pivot mechanism, there is something else to look at, especially if you don’t SEE anything obviously wrong. The side stand itself may be wearing away at the frame itself, and wallowing out the hole in the side stand in which the pivot bolt resides. It’s an easy enough fix, remove the kickstand, flatten the pivot area and/or guides, weld the hole solid, grind the patch flat, drill a new hole for the pivot bolt, smooth out any frame damage in the area, reinstall the kickstand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, hope it's not that bad.

I do have a welder so, if it needs to be done, it'll get done.

I was fishing for ideas. Now that I have some clue as to what to look for, it's now time to do something...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks, hope it's not that bad.

I do have a welder so, if it needs to be done, it'll get done.

I was fishing for ideas. Now that I have some clue as to what to look for, it's now time to do something...
You got this, bro....gitter done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts