GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my "new" 2007 bike have Nav system, which was the selling point that I sought after when I decided to buy my 2nd Goldwing.

I should've done research beforehand but, I didn't. My fault for not thinking ahead.

Any way, I found all the Firmware updates, latest I was told was FW5.1, installed and bought the newest Garmin City Navigator North America NT 2021(?) and installed.

Due to lack of knowledge beforehand, it didn't work right, due to 2Gb size limitation on fat32 format.

I bought this map from Garmin, to be installed in my 2007 Honda Goldwing's Nav system. 100% legit copy.

Upon installation, I found that there was no search function at all. POI only showed nearest Honda dealerships. CAN NOT search by name, address or ANY other means, keyboard grayed out.

I was told that system can only load 2Gb or less so, I edited the map to remove States that I never plan to visit and brought the size down to 1.9Gb.

Still, same issue with search, rendering this map useless to me. What's the use for map that I can not search to plot where I need to go?

Does anyone have any knowledge what the issue may be?

I have the latest firmware, FW 5.1, that supposed to allow all non-NT and NT maps to be able to work with this unit.

I ended up reverting back to 2017 map, which allow search but, NO POI search by name, only nearest POI, which is better than nothing.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Can you search by address? That's how I have to search with my custom mapset and cant search names for POI's.

Ok, I reread the post and see you cant search by address either. Can you zoom in and see local side streets or do you just see the base map?

·
Registered
901 Posts
What I'm confused about is that you said you bought this map from Garmin and were able to edit the maps to remove certain states. Did you buy the official GL1800 cards for the 06-08 GL1800 or did you buy maps from Garmin?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I'm confused about is that you said you bought this map from Garmin and were able to edit the maps to remove certain states. Did you buy the official GL1800 cards for the 06-08 GL1800 or did you buy maps from Garmin?
It wasn't official map for the bike. It's latest is 2017, 3 years out of date, which I already have and will not pay extra just because it says Honda.

This new mad was bought directly from Garmin site, City Navigator North America NT 2021(?).

Works fine in my car GPS. Just not in my bike's GPS.

As for previous question, map seem to be functional, just no search functions.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ah, so it's a portable Garmin GPS that you use then in the car?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I'm having issues using this new updated map with my Goldwing, even when edited to fit in 2Gb CF card.

I installed the same map in my car GPS, everything works fine and updated as it should've done.

Some reason unknown to me that any map after 2017 will NOT work in my bike.

I understand the limitation on POI search by name and up to 2017, nearest search on POI is still working and search ANYTHING by address is working.

With maps beyond 2017, search functions seem to be non-functioning in all search categories.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The reason I ask this is that the Garmin maps are usually locked to a certain GPS and wont work for others unless you software unlock them using a program like gimgunlock or similar before you can use it for the GL1800. This would be done after creating the custom mapset on the card and would have to be done everytime you create a new update. The official Honda updates dont need this to be done. Also, even with unlocking, you still wont be able to search by name but should be able to search for a city by name or search an address.

·
Registered
901 Posts
So to be a little more clear, you create your custom mapset using Mapsource or Base Camp, transfer it to a CompactFlash card keeping it under 2gb, and then use gimgunlock to unlock your gmapsupp.img file on the card.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. I even tried mapinstall with same results.

No matter which program or process I used to edit, unlock and liad yhe map to ghe CF card, they all do(or not do) the same.

Next weekend I have off, I'm going to try and load the non-Garmin free mapset and see if they have search functions, aside from POI name search.

As long as I can gave updated mapset and allow me to search at least by address, I'm satisfied. POI by distance would be a plus but, not really necessary and POI by nearest is better.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts

No matter which program or process I used to edit, unlock and liad yhe map to ghe CF card, they all do(or not do) the same.

Next weekend I have off, I'm going to try and load the non-Garmin free mapset and see if they have search functions, aside from POI name search.

As long as I can gave updated mapset and allow me to search at least by address, I'm satisfied. POI by distance would be a plus but, not really necessary and POI by nearest is better.
I'd be more than happy to try and help you if like, just let me know.

·
Registered
447 Posts
So, my "new" 2007 bike have Nav system, which was the selling point that I sought after when I decided to buy my 2nd Goldwing.

I should've done research beforehand but, I didn't. My fault for not thinking ahead.

Any way, I found all the Firmware updates, latest I was told was FW5.1, installed and bought the newest Garmin City Navigator North America NT 2021(?) and installed.

Due to lack of knowledge beforehand, it didn't work right, due to 2Gb size limitation on fat32 format.

I bought this map from Garmin, to be installed in my 2007 Honda Goldwing's Nav system. 100% legit copy.

Upon installation, I found that there was no search function at all. POI only showed nearest Honda dealerships. CAN NOT search by name, address or ANY other means, keyboard grayed out.

I was told that system can only load 2Gb or less so, I edited the map to remove States that I never plan to visit and brought the size down to 1.9Gb.

Still, same issue with search, rendering this map useless to me. What's the use for map that I can not search to plot where I need to go?

Does anyone have any knowledge what the issue may be?

I have the latest firmware, FW 5.1, that supposed to allow all non-NT and NT maps to be able to work with this unit.

I ended up reverting back to 2017 map, which allow search but, NO POI search by name, only nearest POI, which is better than nothing.

Thanks for any help.
I was able to load the 2019 Garmin map set from my Zumo onto my 2008 Goldwing GPS after removing the western states without any issues like those you are describing. Perhaps if you posted a step by step of what you did someone may be able to spot a missing step.

·
Registered
901 Posts

You are aware that Garmin is not going to provide any unlocking program to allow you to use your Garmin GPS maps on anything else other than the GPS that it is linked to, correct? The program I am talking about, gimgunlock, is not a Garmin program and not provided by Garmin. It is a tool that you have to search for on the internet and download to be able to use.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Since FW update 4.6 or 4.7 it is no longer possible to search for POI.
I dont think that's true. I think it has to do with using custom maps. I believe there is something with the mapsets where if you use anything other than the official Garmin/Honda mapsets then the POI search wont work. I am on 5.1 firmware and if I put in my official Garmin/Honda 2013 CompactFlash card, my POI search works again. As soon as I put my custom mapset back in, the POI keyboard is greyed out...

·
Registered
901 Posts
As far as I know, the 2013 was the last official update before the one that came out last year(and no more ever). I didnt bother buying the newest because I am already using custom maps that are 4 years newer anyway. I am fine being able to search by address and city so the POI is rather useless. The only time I may use POI search is by utilizing nearest when I'm looking for something nearby. That still works. But if I'm searching for something at a destination, search by address, and then change the name and save it under favorites.

I almost forgot this trick... One thing I discovered last year was that I could put in my old official 2013 CF card and then search POI's that way. Once I find the POI I want, I can then save that in Favorites. I then swap out the CF cards and put my custom mapset back in the Navi unit. Then I can quickly find it when I need it.

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
No, I'm having issues using this new updated map with my Goldwing, even when edited to fit in 2Gb CF card.

I installed the same map in my car GPS, everything works fine and updated as it should've done.

Some reason unknown to me that any map after 2017 will NOT work in my bike.

I understand the limitation on POI search by name and up to 2017, nearest search on POI is still working and search ANYTHING by address is working.

With maps beyond 2017, search functions seem to be non-functioning in all search categories.
I think that the searching and routing might use some of the free space on the card so even though you get just below 2GB, there isn't enough room to search or route. ???

There's some information here: OSM Data Used on '06 - '17 GPS Hardware

When I purchased the latest 2017 maps (for my 2006) it came on 2 CF cards - one had Canada and the bordering states and the other had the lower 48. Both have plenty of free space for routing and searching.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The memory usage does not afect the search feature. When I had my 2006 I made a custom map of 300mb to check that theory and the search feature still did not work with custom mapsets. I believe there is a flag or flags set or not set in the official mapsets that is set or not set in the custom mapsets. If anyone with the ability and knowledgy to compare and office Honda mapset to the same custom mapset they may find the difference. I don't have the mapsets to do it. For anyone interested you can use a cf card as large as 32gb just the mapset must be limited to 2gb.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The memory usage does not afect the search feature. When I had my 2006 I made a custom map of 300mb to check that theory and the search feature still did not work with custom mapsets. I believe there is a flag or flags set or not set in the official mapsets that is set or not set in the custom mapsets. If anyone with the ability and knowledgy to compare and office Honda mapset to the same custom mapset they may find the difference. I don't have the mapsets to do it. For anyone interested you can use a cf card as large as 32gb just the mapset must be limited to 2gb.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I just checked this morning. I'm still running the 4.7 firmware but I have a custom map set built from my Zumo's map set last year and POI search still works.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I feel it is a waste of time and money to try and update the GPS on my 2008...it has old maps and I can use it for some basic directions and such...I rely mostly on the GPS on my IPhone that is connected to the bike with both power and bluetooth to my headset...MUCH more reliable then the GPS on the bike!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts