GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got approximately 90,000 miles on my '08, looking for opinions on when/if it's time to pull the alternator & service it, [brushes, etc]. I know the 1500's had lots of problems, mostly with brushes, but haven't heard of too many people with problems on these 1800's. Don't have lots of extra lights, what lights I do have are LED. Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've got a 2004 with just a tad over 100,000 miles. Nothing really extra demanding power. From what I have seen, the life expectancy is all over the place. To give me a little piece of mind, I installed a digital display volt meter so I can see what output I'm getting and any fluctuations when lights are switched on and off. I may just change it when I hit 140k.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
934 Posts
There's a guy posted on Facebook:
Rodney Nordbrock my ‘01 has 362k miles. I have lost OEM alternators at 122k the second at 206k and the third at 323k. They are reliably good for 100-120k. Not a weak spot, just a wear item that needs watching if you don’t want to lose a couple days of great vacation waiting on a shop and parts... I stand by my recommendation.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts
I've got approximately 90,000 miles on my '08, looking for opinions on when/if it's time to pull the alternator & service it, [brushes, etc]. I know the 1500's had lots of problems, mostly with brushes, but haven't heard of too many people with problems on these 1800's. Don't have lots of extra lights, what lights I do have are LED. Thanks for any comments.
Like us, all parts have built in DNA and will die according. Some die earlier, while many out live the mean.

For a most accurate prediction, can you lay your alternator against you monitor, that way I can get a "feel" to predict your'es death.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I know its not in the book but do you think its a good idea to pull that side cover and gently blow some air through it?
Seems some dust and stuff gets blown out.

I do this as part of my annual service and bike go over.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know its not in the book but do you think its a good idea to pull that side cover and gently blow some air through it?

Just to clarify - that is a good idea SOUTH of the equator, but for bikes in N America or Europe you should blow thru the alternator toward the engine. Coriolis Effect, don't you know.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts

Gently? I'd be worried about blowing more dust inside of it. I've heard of blowing compressor air on it WHILE IT'S RUNNING to make sure dust doesn't get caught up inside. I'm at just over 100,000 and I just leave it alone. It seems like when I've intervened on things that like that I just make things worse. :serious:

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Your 2008 also has a higher capacity alternator than some of the ones given as examples in earlier replies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It comes down to personal choice. At 120,000 miles, I decided to swap mine out with a new OEM unit. When an alternator fails, the bike will have a very limited range and then you are dead in the water. I travel great distances and don't want to spend a couple of days waiting for a new alternator to be shipped to me and then having to try a repair on the road with limited tools etc. Plus I often travel with others and don't want to be "that guy" that holds everyone else. Just not worth it.

·
Vendor
17,780 Posts

With electrical parts, heat is often a factor with their death. Since blowing through an alternator is very "uncontrolled blow" it would be far better to remove the alternator, separate the parts, and blow it out that way. While in there, replace the bearings and brushes. Basically, I'm describing a PM over haul.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
With electrical parts, heat is often a factor with their death. Since blowing through an alternator is very "uncontrolled blow" it would be far better to remove the alternator, separate the parts, and blow it out that way. While in there, replace the bearings and brushes. Basically, I'm describing a PM over haul.
A PM overhaul must differ from a complete overhaul. Overhauls I've seen also include replacing the windings. Heat can break down the insulation on the wires making up the windings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts