GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of a survey. I am used to riding a zx14 with zero back support so when I ride the Goldwing, it is like a easy chair. Purchased in August , so only long ride so far was about 300 miles one day and 350 miles back the next. No issues at all with my rear end or back. Just wondering how much more comfort can I get out a back rest and which brands are good and which are not. Any help as always is appreciated. My ride was down to Poop's pub in Savanna Illinois. Will ride there again this summer. WHAT A BAR WOW.
Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
2016 GL1800
234 Posts
Im sure im in the minority, but im gonna vote NO on the backrest. Your stuck in one position, cant lean back or scoot up on the rear seat and lean forward for a good stretch while riding. Cant use body english in the twisties, but like i said im sure im in the minority.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Get a removable Utopia. Leave it out for local stuff if you want and stick it back in when going on long rides. They have a bolt that can be easily adjusted while riding to change how close to your back they are.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I have an ultimate seat and backrest.

It’s a game changer in my opinion.

It’s great to take the stress off your hands and arms during acceleration.

Mine is quick to remove but I never do. I always have it on. I always wanted to try one and had no idea how much I would like it.

I don’t feel pinned in at all. I can stretch against it with my feet on my highway pegs or lean forward a little and not have it in play. Plenty of room to move around with my tall rider ultimate seat.

I’m tall and have no issue swinging my leg over it.

An added bonus is my ultimate backrest is sized perfectly allow me to use it as a helmet holder for my Shuberth modular C4. I can open the chin bar, place it over the backrest and then close it. The helmet is secure and won’t fall off the bike and I can still open my top case.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Ride your bike for 5000 miles before you do any changes. Once your body has been trained to your bike, then you can make good decisions about what you would like.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
I don't like adding aftermarket stuff to my Wing unless I have to have it. Unfortunately to ride long distances for me I must have back support.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The issue of not having or having a backrest is similar to not ever having rode a Goldwing to riding one - you'll never know what you are missing until you've first tried it. I personally love my Utopia backrest. I could ride without it, but why? Some have said that having a backrest will hinder your body movement maneuvering through twisty curves. I have never found that to be an issue.

Reactions: TOGA

·
Registered
764 Posts
I owned several motorcycles and never had a backrest until my first (used) Goldwing. I took it off when I bought the bike. One day I had to take a two hour Interstate trip for business. Decided to try the backrest. It never came off again. First thing I have added to every subsequent bike. Properly adjusted you can still shift around for comfort or cornering. It also is helpful when you want to push against the highway pegs rather than just rest your feet.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
You going to get all kinds of comments, about back rests, Me , i love mine...........

·
Registered
332 Posts
Love my back rest too!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If your back does not bother you, don’t bother with a back rest. Should that change, my vote goes to the Utopia. I won’t ride without a backrest, not for any distance.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
My first ride of 100 miles told me I needed a backrest, after using a Markland, (I think), when I had seat rebuilt by WingSoft got an Utopia, Utopia is the way to go, if you are going with a backrest.

Reactions: SilverCruzer

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I would not have a car without a backrest, nor would I have a MC without one. To me, it is a game changer as far as comfort. Just lean forward in the twists to disconnect from the, "planted" feeling with the bike.

Reactions: hoverlover

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If your back does not bother you, don’t bother with a back rest. Should that change, my vote goes to the Utopia. I won’t ride without a backrest, not for any distance.
Right funny sometimes how different people are. I like a backrest but when my back gives problems a backrest makes the problems much worse.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My bike came with a backrest but before long I took it off and sold it. My main complaint was the extra hassle of getting my leg over the bike (but I've got short legs). I've done 500 mile days without one and don't miss it. That said, on my long camping trips I have a bag on the back seat I can push back against if I like, so it's sort of like a backrest - probably helps a bit for the 1,100 mile days (OK, I only did one of those).

But everybody's different, and a different shape. I agree with the advice to ride for a bit without one to see if you feel a need. The stock seat has a pretty big backstop (buttstop?) to begin with.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
The stock Goldwing saddle does not work with me. The back "candle" pushes my tush forward and is extremely uncomfortable.
So the solution I have found for my last 3 bikes is the Hartco Pro Tour.
I also use their removable backrest. However I have mine cut down to give added lumbar support. I can also hike my leg over it when I get on or off.
Everyone is different. As advised above... put some miles on the bike. Then see how you feel.
Great options mentioned here for the stock saddle.... if it works for you.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
885 Posts
Bought a backrest for my previous Wing. Used it a couple times and concluded it wasn’t for me. Too restricting getting on and off. Didn’t feel it as being all that much more comfortable while riding. My wife hated it, it allowed her zero movement as the pillion. Pictured the backrest severing my spine if there was ever a rear collision. Sold the backrest.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I aimed for a F6b because after a crash it was really hard to raise my leg and push it over to the right side without touching the seat with my boot. A few times like that and your seat is ... expensive.
My 2013 had a fold down backrest on the stock seat when I bought it last year and I flip the backrest down, bend my right leg and then swing the right leg over the seat and the folded backrest without a problem. Before I actually sit down, I just flip up the seat.
I have a 30' inseam on a Mr. Potato Head body, so I don't feel cramped by mine, and I can swivel or lean or shift all over.
If it's parked up on the center stand, I just put my left foot on the left foot peg and swing my right leg over the flipped down backrest.

Dunno how I rode for decades without it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts